586,094 active members*
3,624 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Has Anyone Built From David Steels Sosylva Plans?
Page 12 of 34 2101112131422
    Congrats goldenoak. Please keep everyone updated.

This design has completely stolen my attention. Fortunately I'm only in as deep as my Z, ready to move to the Y and can make some changes along the Sosylva lines. I especially like the dual screw X.

Question... What US suppliers have you builders used for the belt and pulleys and what size are you using?

Curtis

I used the one suggested by David Steele from Stock Drive Products www.sdp-si.com

2@Polycarbonate (XL)15 teeth 0.313"Bore AL. Insert 2 Flanges
    A6Z 3-15DF03710

1@ Aluminum Alloy (XL) 15 teeth 0.250" Bore 2 Flanges A 6A 3-15H3708

1@ Belt (XL) 414 teeth 3/8"Width Neoprene w/ Fiberglass 82.80"
    A 6R 3-414037

I hope this helps,
    Doug

Thanks for the details Doug, just happened that I found that vendor after posting. Helps to know what's going on your machines.

Curtis

Here is a quick update on my CNC router.

I ordered the Xylotex 4 axis kit with the 425 oz steppers on Thursday morning and I received them on Saturday! Awesome service! I am going to the shop this afternoon to start hooking everything up. I am hoping to get mine running this week. I am waiting on a computer case and a Windows Pro COA so I can get the computer put together. I also bought a keyboard and mouse from NewEgg for 3.99 LOL! We'll see how long that lasts in the shop.

David Steels Sosylva Plans finished.

David Steels Sosylva Plans finished.
    All the wood is oak. I used a lot of cutting board plasic instead of hardboard.
    Just finished tuning the motors and setting up the micro switches. Check out the pics. I installed the Xyotex 3 axis ready kit and Mach2 software. I don't know why but the Z axis took 3 times as long to get working without hanging up or stalling. Now if I can figure how to use corel draw with mach2 Ill be ready to start cutting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0159.jpg   IMG_0147.jpg   IMG_0152.jpg   IMG_0149.jpg  

IMG_0157.jpg  

Very Nice,

I am going to drive to Xylotex on monday and get the three axis ready kit setup for mine.
    Thanks
    Bill

Sweet. Nice machine. I wanted to use oak but someone on this site said not to because it would warp. Please let us know how it goes.

I used laminated poplar for the X and Y and mostly hard maple for the Z carriage. It seems very adequate, but only time will tell I supose.

Flapjack,

Nice job! I made mine from oak as well. Still have to seal the wood yet and get the Xylotex stuff. Yours looks very nice! Were the micro switches pretty easy to hookup and get working with Mach2?

The wonder of metal:-) i could'n find any wood nearby that satisfied my need (and $$) so desided to go the metal way for the X. Personally think it came out nice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1724.JPG  

It came out very nice guldberg, and the metal should be more solid than wood which will allow you more flexibility in what you cut.

Im still waiting for my HobbyCNC kit to arrive from the states....its taking sooooo long!

I had to glue oak 1X4's together to get 2X4's. and I used them at the ends of the table instead of the 1X4's in the plans to give it some extra stiffness. I have noticed no warp in the table and it is very wet down here in Houston. The micro switches were easy to install. You can use the U channel to run the wires. I also had to add a few feet of wire to the ready kit becouse the wires from the Xyotex 3 axis ready kit were a little short for a table this large.

Did the 3 axis kit have 6 foot cables ready made like the 4 axis kit? I also used 1x4's glued to make my 2x4's. Seems pretty dang stiff to me.

Ok, I finally finished! :banana:

I did a quick tuning, the x runs at 20, the y & z run at 30. (I'll have to work on the x some more)
    I loaded the sample Pub sign from Vcarve, and let err rip!
    It seems to do a good job! Im pleased! I painted then sanded the surface to get a better contrast of the sign after it was cut.
    I would like to add the limit switches and work on the tuning some more, but overall I couldn't be happier
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0003.jpg   0004.jpg   0005.jpg   0006.jpg  

0007.jpg   0009.jpg  

How big did you make your Machine?
    Thanks

The whole machine is as per David Steele's plans with no intentional deviations.

I had to add about 15 inches of wire to get the ready kit wire to reach the control box. I think the wires that came with the kit were about six feet long. I also replaced the 4 prong connectors with 6 prong and intergraded the micro switch wires with the wire in the kit.

Have you guys had good luck with Vcarve? Im trying to use corel draw with no luck.

My motors top out at 51 units per minute and I backed them off to about
    43. Is that close to what you guys are getting?

I have to leave a lot of slack in the X belt, even after I tunned everything else.

thoes are some excelent looking machines, i just have one question, is that a workmate it's sitting on? how much does that thing rock and roll when your running?
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Hey pipertom, just noticed, thats a nice tidy and organised looking shop. I like it.

Page 12 of 34 2101112131422