586,036 active members*
4,112 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Cincinati Hawk - stray component in tool changer, switch of some kind?

Cincinati Hawk - stray component in tool changer, switch of some kind?

I have a Cincinnati Hawk with live tooling I bought last year and am finally getting ready to make chips. I took the cover off the tool changer this AM to fix an air hose and I see this waving around in there.

I have not actually run a program yet but everything appears to work OK as far as the basic tool changer goes. However I have not tried anything related to the live tooling.

Any idea what this is and where it goes? It looks important.
    Thanks
    Marc

Re: Cincinati Hawk - stray component in tool changer, switch of some kind?

I'm assuming its one of the crash switches on the turret. The theory is if the turret is crashed hard enough that the turret is knocked out of position, the switches (there should be 2 of them) will change state, and not let you run until the turret is squared up again.

To see if the switch is working, you can press the end of the switch to change it's state and you should get an alarm. Obviously won't actually register a crash until it is installed back where it belongs, but will let you confirm whether it needs to be replaced before installing it again.

No alarm

Wish it would so something then at least I would have some idea what it's for.

If I could figure out where if is supposed to be mounted I would be way ahead.

There is an empty bracket that has a hole the right diameter, but there is no sign of rubbing on the housing where the tip would be hitting. And it makes no sense why it has such a big brass housing and protective hose over the cable. I'm usually pretty good at figuring this stuff out but not this time.

You can see where the housing has been rubbing on something.
    Thanks
    Marc

That looks like a Fanuc motor in the picture, indicating your machine is a different vintage than the one I was thinking of (I'm used to Duplomatics), so may have used a different setup for the crash switches, and since you indicated it was a used machine, the previous owner may have bypassed the switch. Check your prints to see how they are to be wired, and you can check the input for proper functioning (and possibly a jumper).

Traced the wire, found it on the schematic. Sure enough, crash switch

Who would have thought, I never heard of a crash switch before.

It is NC on the schematic and there is short in either the wire or the switch as it does not open when I press it. So tha'ts why no alarm.

I still can't see where it is supposed to mount. I looked in the manual for the turret and I don't see it.

I know I can run without it but I bought this machine used and I really want to get it back to spec.
    Thanks
    Marc

The crash switch should be located where the bolts (4) that connect the turret to the slide in the front / bottom of the turret. It is connected to the slide and detects movement of the turret when crashed.

meckardt@cncmachineservices (dot) com

I finally got a drawing showing the switch, turns out it was that empty bracket in the photo. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!! Is there anything special about it? I am sure I can come up with a switch that will work.
    Thanks
    Marc

I do have another quesition. Is this closed when depressed or extended? Mine is shorted so I can't tell. I would almost think it is closed at some mid-point so it opens if moved in either direction. Does the turret always move the same way in a crash, or can it be either?
    Thanks
    Marc

A crash can happen in any direction. I have adjusted this switch in the field after a customers crash. I recall that I adjusted it to be closed and it opens up in a crash in ether direction. I don't think your switch is shorted but the input has been jumpered closed. Take a look at the electrical prints.

Mike cncmachineservices (dot) com

Hi Mike, thanks. Someone had cut the wires to this and put wire nuts on it! I have not dug any deeper yet but the 2 leads running to the switch have continuity.
    Thanks
    Marc

Let me know what you find out.

Mike cncmachineservices (dot) com