586,089 active members*
3,915 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Performance expectations with the gecko 280 oz in motors.

Performance expectations with the gecko 280 oz in motors.

Soooo.... I got me a gecko g540, and some of the nema23 280 oz in us made gecko motors. unfortunately for now I only have a 24v psu.

my question is, how much performance at speed should I get back when I bump the psu to 48v?

right now my x axis is running about 180ipm 0.1G "safely", but wont go much higher - fairly heavy axis, 2510 x 4 foot long screw with lots of inertia.

is there a nice mathematical formula to tell me what torque im getting *now* and what speed I will get that same torque on the higher voltage psu?

basically trying to guesstimate if the psu will make it perform well enough, or if I need to upgrade to bigger motors.

thanks.

I've always heard that the general rule is double the voltage, you double the speed. But I've never tested the theory to see how valid it is. I would expect at least a 50% increase, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Years ago I did test the theory and I found that if you double the voltage of the power supply you would increase the speed by 50&.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I've always heard that the general rule is double the voltage, you double the speed. But I've never tested the theory to see how valid it is. I would expect at least a 50% increase, though.

From the standpoint of motor inductance versus power supply voltage, then the
    theoretical speed relationship is linear. Double the voltage, double the speed.

Unfortunately other factors can come into play. The purity of the step pulse
    stream timing may suffer at the higher step rates. Friction losses increase.
    Apparent speed is affected by not just the maximum velocity, it is also affected
    by the time to accelerate to that speed, and that will take longer.
    to that speed.

Steve Stallings
    PMDX

thanks. I know servos generally behave linearly, but wasn't sure about steppers. looked at the graph for a similar parker that happened to show 24 and 48v operation, and they show a near 100% speed increase. so I think at the least I should get 300ipm safe cutting with good acceleration, which is perfectly adequate for now.