586,062 active members*
4,648 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > FeatureCAM CAD/CAM > 4 axis machining - trade you tip for 4 axis roughing for need some help with feeds.

4 axis machining - trade you tip for 4 axis roughing for need some help with feeds.

Hey all,
    I'll trade you a tip for some help.

Tip- Featurecam 4 axis rotary toolpath, many people ask for help with roughing.
    So simply, make an operation (lets say circular toolpath for a knob) then set your leave allowance to 5mm.
    Copy toolpath, paste toolpath, open the new toolpath and set leave allowance 2.5mm. Each pass gets closer till your final finishing pass.
    You can do this on the whole part or individual surfaces... really easy, works as well as any roughing toolpath (As it doesn't have one yet).

Now what I need help with.
    When I set the feed rate in the tools dialog, to machine a 50mm long part takes 15 minutes, even with a stepover of 1 mm it shouldn't take this long. So the ultimate question is how is featurecam dividing up the feedrate in 4 axis rotary toolpaths. Is it divided by the 4 axis (For example 250mm /min) which doesn't make a whole lot of sense as it seems even slower then that. The parts should only take about 30 seconds to machine. Anyone have a tip on setting feedrate? Max total feedrate i'm looking for is 1000mm/min with this part.
    Cheers in advance for any help.
    Sj.

Can I also ask is it impossible in turn mill to change the setup axis from Z to X?
    Can't work that out either, normally I'm good with FC but its throwing me as i'm quite new to the power of 4 axis...