586,036 active members*
3,869 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak Quick Turn 10N spindle repair

We bought this machine new and it's still in great shape. A rear bearing dried out and started to grumble. Had an ex-Mazak repair guy pull the spindle assembly and repair. Got new bearings from Japan, same part number etc as was in there originally. Assembly went together and was put in and ran fine. Then we realized it had .008 in and out float. Now our repair guy is paid and won't come back to adjust the lash.

Called Mazak in Kentucky and of coarse they want $11,000 to $19,000 to fix it. And they will not even look at it unless we supply a "Mazak" receipt for the bearings or they put in their own new ones. I know their time is worth something but I asked them to appreciate where I was at as my whole shop has always been all Mazak. Ya so that didn't go too well.

Anyone got a good spindle shop that will do an honest adjustment / repair? I'm not looking for a fly by night patch job or anything that is the lowest dollar. Just don't want the Kentucky butt-ream.

Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by mazakm32 View Post
    realized it had .008 in and out float
    sounds like a spacer problem, the bearings are not preloaded correctly if I'm understanding

Quote Originally Posted by mazakm32 View Post
    Anyone got a good spindle shop that will do an honest adjustment / repair? I'm not looking for a fly by night patch job or anything that is the lowest dollar
    we do I'm actually on vacation next week but if you give us a call someone can help you out (have all the information in hand when you call from the last repair, may help us to estimate for you). I'm pretty sure your spacers would need to be reworked to correctly set the preload/remove the axial play and it's a bit of a crap shoot on whether you're going to damage the bearings in disassembling it or not. If it can be done however, we can do it, and that would keep the cost down considerably.
    Jason
    www.centerline-inc.com