586,075 active members*
4,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Grizzly G9972Z,G0602,or G0752 Lathe

Grizzly G9972Z,G0602,or G0752 Lathe

I am considering purchasing a lathe for manual use only. I need something to do single point threading.
    I have narrowed it down to these 3 choices that are in my $1500 usd budget.
    Can anyone share their experiences with these machines and why they made their choice?

Grizzly G9972Z, G0602 & G0752. See links below

Grizzly.com

Grizzly.com

Grizzly.com

Thanks,
    Coolant Slinger

I have a G0602. It would be helpful if you told what kind of metal you are threading, the range in diameters and the pitch. Standard inch or metric.
    I have threaded one inch rod (apporximately RC 30) with 12 threads per inch no problem, but you need look at the threads each lathe is capable of cutting. All three of these at least have wider beds than a lot of minilathes, but you may have problems with tolerances. The grizzly beds seem okay, but I have experienced problems with the supplied tool post holder and the compound rest/cross slide. I have not actually put dial incators on each to localize the problem, but most think it is the compound rest/toolpost. I think this is a problem with a lot of minilathes as most use the same design. One person I talked to said a quick change tool holder reduced the variance a lot.

There are two points that may become important later.

I. Buy a lathe for the future smd try to anticpate your needs. If they had of offered the 26 inch Grizzly when I purchased my G0602 I would have gotten it instead.

2. Go to the Grizzly site and scan through the "Purchase parts) section for each of these lathes. I noticed that some parts are listed as N.A. and if you consider the parts important and not subject to purchase elsewhere you might have a problem. You might call them and see if these parts are truely unavailable.I did just order some extra external gears like the 36 and 40 tooth change gears which I use, timing belt, and extra plastic spindle gear (The external threading gear) 40 tooth part number 20. If this goes your day is not going to be happy.

Some of the parts that are N.A. are simple to fabricate or can be found elsewhere. I have provided what information I could given the scope of your question.

I had to add this as an edit. The one area I forgot to mention is spindle speed. Both the G0602 and Its longer brother have a lowest spindle speed of about 150 rpm. If you are threading pitches at 24 threads per inch or slower the feed rate is too fast for me to be comfortable with. I am in the process of getting a variable speed motor to help when using these pitches. I really can't affor to crash the head.

I hope this helps.
    G.

Re: Grizzly G9972Z,G0602,or G0752 Lathe

I bought the G9972Z and overall like the machine. I stripped the motor and replaced with a VFD that runs on 220v power and a 1 hp 3 phase motor. I am single pointing a 1/2-13 thread and when I scratched the surface of the part the lead or pitch looks off. On a 1" length of thread the pitch starts getting off at about the 3rd thread. I double checked the change gears and the 2 knobs on the quick change gear box and they seem to be just like the chart on the side of the machine. I am starting the thread on the #1 every time on the 1/2 nut. I'm beginning to think they put the wrong lead screw on it at the factory. Or it could be burrs on the lead screw pushed up from the keyway being cut down the entire length of the lead screw. Anyone else having this problem?

Tech service at Grizzly cleared it up for me. I didn't have the gears in the right place. So pay close attention to the picture in the diagram on the side of the machine. I didn't also realize the gears on the swing arm could be moved in and out if you loosen the square nut in the center of 120 & 127 tooth gear. This allowed for the configurations I needed.

how do you like the power cross feed on that mill....

I hemmed and hawed and finally decided on the G0602.... but the power cross feed on the G9972 made it a tough decision.

Quote Originally Posted by SSN Vet View Post
    how do you like the power cross feed on that mill....

I hemmed and hawed and finally decided on the G0602.... but the power cross feed on the G9972 made it a tough decision.
    I don't think the G9972Z has a power Cross feed. I've looked through the manual and the parts list.. I see no gears on the crossfeed and the manual says nothing about it.
    Inner Vision Development Corp. - http://www.ivdc.com
    Website Design & Development. Shopping Carts, SEO and more!

You are correct Connor, the G9972Z has no cross feed. And SSN Vet, it is a lathe ,not a mill . The quick change gear box and the change gears are a little noisy but that may get better as they get worn in. I drained the old oil in the gar box. Replaced it with the thicker Valvoline gear oil, but that didn't quiet it. I guess I'll have to live with it. Other than that it is a fairly good machine.

Then unlike the G0602 lathe, it must not use the lead screw for the power feed, but have a separate power feed gear. I'm referring to the lever labeled S on the page 3 diagram.

S In The Diagram Is The Power Feed For The saddle Or Z-axis. G In The Diagram Is Used For Engaging The Half Nut For Single Point Threading. They Both Only Work With Saddle Or Z-axis Movement. Hopes This Clears It Up For you.