586,096 active members*
3,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad and Geomagic/Alibre Combination: Need Assistance...
Page 1 of 3 123

Bobcad and Geomagic/Alibre Combination: Need Assistance...

All,

I'm new to CNC (but have been doing manual mill/lathe work for decades) and just purchased BobCAD/CAM 4 Axis Standard version 26. I've also been using Alibre/Geomagic CAD for a couple years and am reasonably proficient with it.

I have a brand new CNC machine and am teaching myself how to use it. I viewed in-earnest all the 140+ training videos and found them very helpful. I've made a couple parts using BobCAD generated G-code but, I still seem to be struggling because all of the training videos use CAD files generated by their program.

Can anyone point me to information about what file types to export out of Alibre/Geomagic CAD when importing them into BobCAD? I can export to .stp. .stl, .igs and others. I get different results in working-up the CAM tree and some unusual toolpaths when using varying formats of input file. I know that some are for 2D and some are for 3D but I seem to be chasing my tail at times.

Are there any reference materials on this and in general are there any resources for folks using the combination of Alibre/Geomagic with BobCad?

Much thanks...

Ray

Pretty straight forward really, if you are doing simple 2D and 2.5D stuff then simple 2D .DXF files will be fine, you don`t say what machine you have bought but if it has a modern control with "Conversational" programming then you don`t need either your Alibre or BobCAD-CAM software for 2D and 2.5D machining

Some years ago I ran some HURCO CNC machines with Ultimax controls and never saw a G code for years at a time

For any 3D and 4th axis work then usually .STEP (.stp) and .IGES (.igs) will do the job for you.

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Rob / All,

Thanks! Another related question for you or anyone else... If I start with a 3D input file, is it safe to presume I should be able to setup a CAM tree consisting of 2, 2.5 and 3D operations? In the training video, all examples use the internal CAD capabilities and when working on a 3D part, they switch back/forth to doing 2 & 3D ops w/o a problem. I'm not having such luck and suspected it might be the input file type. I can regenerate the toolpath 2 times and get 2 different results -when that starts happening, the next time I try to delete or change the order of operations in the tree, the program crashes.

No, my machine is not conversational... not one bit... I keep talking to it and it never replies. Go Figure... Huh, so much for my 6 grand... (BTW: It's Mach 3 based). I'm really happy with the machine and it worked right out of the box once I overcame the "Mach 3 Shock" which took a couple days.

BTW: this is a pretty steep learning curve and I appreciate your help. After far too long of using manual machines, I decided to go with CNC. Pretty cool... Please allow proud Papa to show off the baby... It's a relatively new model. Also is a pic of a part I was able to figure-out and make but, it has a glitch in the shape and while investigating that, I ran into all these problems.

Ray

Shouldn`t be crashing like that, possibly your PC isn`t up to the task, BobCAD does require a lot of resources to run well, very rare I have that sort of issue and it is usually me having done something I shouldn`t have

Don`t see how you can get a different toolpath each time you generate it, if you are re-selecting the geometry differently each time that could have something to do with it, particularly on profile features.

Once you have a solid imported from your Alibre it`s usually best to create a new layer for the solid, then under the "Utilities" tab select "Extract edges" and drag a box around your solid to select it all and then right click and then left click "OK" from the dialog that appears.

Move the Red "Check" to the layer for the solid and then select the solid and right click and select "Modify to current layer".
    Now you can hide the layer with the solid on it and you should be left with the wire frame geometry of the original solid, now you can select whatever geometry you want easily and either put each side or feature geometry on a new different layer or make some a different colour, that makes it easier to find/hide geometry as and when required.

Unless you are going to do some 3D surface machining and need to extract some surfaces from the solid then best leave the solid hidden

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro: :rainfro: :rainfro:

Once again, thanks...

The PC is up to the task for sure... It's rock solid... i7, recent and well cared for by your truly (retired computer engineer and now pursuing my lifelong hobby as a "retirement" career). I don't want to keep bugging you with my newbie questions. I reviewed the zillion hours of training videos (which are petty good) and I've got information overload. I felt that my problems were due to different file types -and they are to some extent. -But I really need to find more about "Extracting Edges" and other things which are probably fundamentally important.

Do you know of any other learning resources beside what BobCAD offers that has a condensed book of the fundamentals similar to what you mentioned?

PS: See your Private Messages in a short while.

Ray

Learn LAYERS,COUNTOURS,and EXTRACT
    Sorry to shout,but those all are very important for what you are asking.

Check out Bobcad after dark on Facebook
    and do a you tube search for Bobcad.
    JSYK, V23,24,25,26 are not that different in many respects to CAD,so videos can be helpful from one to another.Here is a great video that should help a bunch

V25 Mold Sample - YouTube

10-4, thanks... Shouting is good. After watching/listening to the guy on those training videos for three straight days, a change of inflection and intonation is welcome.

Seriously, there's so much information in there that it's hard to know what's critically important and what's not. Also, in every single one of the video segments, the presenter goes over how to enter endmill parameters or how to right-click and change something's color... and other mundane things that are totally obvious. About 1/4 of the information therein is wasted on such things -and there's no information about the "theory" behind the important aspects. -Still though, they are good videos. -Better than many others I've seen and after viewing them, I did in-fact make some basic parts -so all is not lost.

I do have a question... Is it critically important to learn the CAD aspect of BobCAD?

I'm quite familiar with Alibre/Geomagic CAD and I need it for other features like creating BOMs, assemblies and doing motion analysis. -Just don't feel like learning another CAD program right now but if it's really beneficial to use the CAM aspect of the program, I will.

Thanks everyone...

Ray

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post

JSYK, V23,24,25,26 are not that different in many respects to CAD,so videos can be helpful from one to another.Here is a great video that should help a bunch

I only use BoB ,so I have not the answer.I have a sneaky suspicion that learning 2D drawing and LAYERS,COUNTOURS,and EXTRACT are going to make you better and faster.Leave the 3D stuff alone in BoB.I think.

10-4, thanks... Shouting is good. After watching/listening to the guy on those training videos for three straight days, a change of inflection and intonation is welcome.

Seriously, there's so much information in there that it's hard to know what's critically important and what's not. Also, in every single one of the video segments, the presenter goes over how to enter endmill parameters or how to right-click and change something's color... and other mundane things that are totally obvious. About 1/4 of the information therein is wasted on such things -and there's no information about the "theory" behind the important aspects. -Still though, they are good videos. -Better than many others I've seen and after viewing them, I did in-fact make some basic parts -so all is not lost.

I do have a question... Is it critically important to learn the CAD aspect of BobCAD?

I'm quite familiar with Alibre/Geomagic CAD and I need it for other features like creating BOMs, assemblies and doing motion analysis. -Just don't feel learning another CAD program right now but if it's really beneficial to use the CAM aspect of the program, I will.

Thanks everyone...

Ray

I only use BoB ,so I have not the answer.I have a sneaky suspicion that learning 2D drawing and LAYERS,COUNTOURS,and EXTRACT are going to make you better and faster.Leave the 3D stuff alone in BoB.I think.
    Yes, I'll dig into those things in-earnest ... right after my eyes stop bleeding from three intense days of BoBCAD training videos. -I've really become used to the Alibre 3D stuff. I spend half my time doing the prototyping in CAD and the other half the time in the shop trying to pay for all the CAD/CAM software... Busy season is upon me but fortunately, the first job I have that will benefit from CNC is not until July.

Ray

BobCAD/CAM was designed to be used as a package, where the files you design in the CAD portion are translated into toolpaths and output as G-code within the same program. It's not really geared for working with imported geometry, like most stand-alone CAM packages. If you haven't already purchased BobCAD/CAM and want to keep designing in Geomagic Design (Alibre) I'd suggest Mecsoft's AlibreCAM program, which plugs into the Alibre workspace.

Andrew Werby
    301 Moved Permanently
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Actually, i've found bobcad/cam to interface just fine with alibre. Not sure why anyone would say its not geared toward working with imported geometry? I have alibre design elements and export geometry from that as an iges file. This, upon import into bobcad, gives me a solid model from which i can generate either 2d/2.5d/or 3d toolpaths.

That said, when using imported iges files changes made to the solid model in alibre do not automatically propagate into cam as it does in say the cam packages that interface with solidworks.

Everyone speaks the truth though that for doing 2d toolpaths you need to learn some basic aspects of 2d drawing work in bobcad specifically layers, and extracting edges from a model. This is particularly true in the case of 2d contours, as bobcad toolpath generation respects some line attributes of the contour. So if you want to say cut a channel in a part, but want to allow the cutter to exit through one side of the contour, (because its outside the material), you can change that part of the contour into a dashed line and bobcad will accomodate that.

You can also just export a dxf file and use the vectors to make toolpaths. However, honestly, I am so familiar with working in 3d cad that theres no benefit to me. It sounds like you may be the same way. I see no reason not to just model 2d parts as 3d solids and import them into bobcad. It takes no extra time than making a 2d dxf for me.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    BobCAD/CAM was designed to be used as a package, where the files you design in the CAD portion are translated into toolpaths and output as G-code within the same program. It's not really geared for working with imported geometry, like most stand-alone CAM packages. If you haven't already purchased BobCAD/CAM and want to keep designing in Geomagic Design (Alibre) I'd suggest Mecsoft's AlibreCAM program, which plugs into the Alibre workspace.

Andrew Werby
    301 Moved Permanently
    I seem then, to be stuck in the worst of two worlds... My 1st inclination was MecSoft because of it's plugin. I requested the Demo, installed it and it wasn't recognized by Geomagic. After some tech support we got past that but, it came-up each time with an exception that said a couple tasks failed to synchronize -and then some portions of the CAM software would not work. After numerous emails with their support, they seem to have lost interest in me. BTW: The computer is pristine, well maintained and well up to the task. The Geomagic is up-to-date and current in licensing and upgrades. FWIW, it's the Professional version of Geomagic and I'm quite happy with it.

My search continued, I tried several other demos from the more popular CAM companies. BobCAD seemed reasonable based on using the demo for a week and reviewing their "getting started" videos which are publicly available. When I called to order it, the price was slightly better and I wouldn't get saddled with another $400 annual support fee.

-Not taking sides one way or the other as, I will do what is best for me -and brand loyalty doesn't kick in until I'm reasonably happy with the product.

Yes, I purchased BobCAD based on my initial exposure. If it turns-out to be a sow's ear, I'll eat the 20% return fee without blinking an eye. LOL Maybe learn to write G-code. I programmed in machine code and later the more luxurious Assembly language for the first 15 years of my career...

Ray

Please see my last post. What specific parts of the alibre to bobcad exchange have failed you? Can you post an alibre model? I would be willing to build toolpaths and see if I can bypass your issues.

Edit: I'm staring at a fully toolpathed part based on an alibre iges file right now with 3d toolpaths on it and see no issues.

Bkcorwin

Even though I only CAD in BoB,you can throw almost any 3D Alibre file at me,and I am willing to bet I can CAM whatever it is you need.BoB is very capable to CAM files from other CAD systems.Let us see what may trouble you.

Bkorwin,

Thank you for your generosity... I don't wish to be a burden and honestly, the things best learned are those I struggle with. At my current level of struggle, I should be Einstein right now...

I've had most success with .stl so far and can actually make the part using 3d paths. Almost no success with .igs. It's possible you've been doing CAM for a long time and these things are obvious to you... If you don't mind sharing, what resources did you use to learn how to "interwork" BobCAD and Alibre? I'm not allergic to reading and trying to figure it out myself. But in this case, I feel like a monkey's uncle.

I tried to post the file here but, it won't upload. Anyhow, I started with a square and practiced learning how to face it and trim the sides. Then I added a notch at the top -and learned how to cut that; followed by rounding the corners -and got past that. -All with .stl files. Then I started to experiment using 2d and 3d paths in the same tree -And Hit A Brick Wall -ouch...

Ray

Here's the best I can do to show what the part looks like and you can see from it's geometry that I just added features as I experimented with BobCAD.

It's a trivial part...

Ray

PS: Thanks for the helping hand. I spend a lot of time on a different forum helping with manual mills, lathes, heat treating etc... and often times after hours of helping someone, you don't even get a "thumbs up".. -Sigh...

I've no links to share as I honestly just sort of waded through it. Do you understand that there are differences in specifying geometry for 3d vs 2d eg surfaces vs contours? I'm still trying to discern what your specific issue is. But if you can add more details I am glad to help once I sort out what it is.

.stl files are not the best files to work with.Very limited what you may do with them in BoB.
    To upload a file,,R Click file/send to compressed(.zip)/upload the .zip
    Hopefully member Burr will see this and hold Church on this subject.

OK, I see your image. Here is what I just drew in alibre. Where do you hit the wall.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rayc.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	228458

Page 1 of 3 123