586,113 active members*
3,142 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Where to mount the cooling system for spindle

Where to mount the cooling system for spindle

All:

I am about ready to install the water cooled spindle on my machine. I have seen both gantry mounted with a small reservoir and mounted under table with tubing run through cable carriers to spindle. I understand some of the pro/con for both but one aspect of on gantry mount is additional weight (even though not much if kept small).

Would you please share your thoughts (pro cons) on the issue? I wondered if my concern of a 1 liter reservoir on backside of z axis sloshing due to rapid movements could introduce weird dynamics and or accuracy issues had any validity.

I don't intend to ignite a war on what is right or wrong. To each their won but I was just looking to benefit from a group that has been there and done that.

Thanks for you answers
    Steven
    Inspiring Thought for the Day:

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

I know my idea has not caught on although I posted it here a few times

But I am running my Chinese "water-cooled" 2.2kW spindle for 2 years now only by external air cooling. There is a shroud with 1" gap around the cylindrical body and the dust collector (1hp Harbor freight) moves enough air to keep the spindle hand warm at most, even when working hard. It makes the dust boot also very easy, just a skirt extension of the shroud around the bit.

Since I need the dust collector anyway, I got rid of all the water cooling crap with hoses, pumps, reservoir, radiator, water fouling, clogging and possible water leakage into the spindle, not to mention the weight if gantry mounted. The horizontal plate in the picture is the LED work area lighting. The spindle is mounted to a cradle like recess in the aluminum plate. This plate can be adjusted for tramming.

Box Joint and Dovetail CAM software here: WWW.TAILMAKER.NET

Interesting concept. Something to consider for sure just for simplicity sake.
    Inspiring Thought for the Day:

Some people are like slinkies ... Not really good for anything....but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Sloshing effect can be combat by keeping you resevoir solid with liquid. Utilize a stand pipe for thermal expansion. On a small volume I bet that is only a few cc's. You can mitigate that with inches of tubing. Then you have a near solid system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk