586,103 active members*
3,105 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Ubuntu 6.06 & EMC2

Hey All,
    I just loaded ubuntu 6.06 and emc2 on as a dual boot system with XP. the two operating systems seem to co-exist just fine so far.
    the problem I'm having is that when I try to start EMC2 in ubuntu I get the first emc screen and then the system jumps bask to the ubuntu screen I started at...
    any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Did you build the modified kernel for ubuntu 6.06 to run RTAI?

Alan

ubuntu 6.06

Alan,
    No I assumed that if EMC2 would run with ubuntu 5.1. that it would run with 6.6. All I've ever done with linux is run/fight with it from time to time. you got the time to tell me what your talking about. what is RTAI ?
    Thanks Paul

RTAI is the "RealTime Application Interface" that EMC needs in order to run. When you download a BDI EMC or LIVECD EMC you get a kernel that is already patched to run EMC. When you download a vanilla Linux like Ubuntu 6.06 from the original Ubuntu site, you have to patch the kernel, rebuild it with RTAI and install it inorder for EMC to run.

Alan

the emc2 group is working on a real time kernel for dapper.

there is a note here
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl/
    about it.

If you want to test - they might be able to walk you through setting up the correct kernel on irc.freenode.net channel #emc

Other wise the easiest is to just use breezy and follow the directions for it here.
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emc...nstalling_EMC2
    option 1

(painless)

sam

Thanks All, for your replies, One thing that Allways impresses me about the linux groups is the tolerance shown for the different levels of knowledge and the amount of helpfull replies received on all of the questions
    Paul/ tenmetalman

Ubuntu6.06 & ubuntu5.10

Hey All,
    Today I finely was able to down load a good disk of 5.1. i stuffed it in the CD reader and let it load. went on without a hitch. Now all three operating systems are co-existing with out any problems so far. Tomorow I'll load EMC2 and see how that goes..........
    Cheers All
    Paul

Paul,

I just used the "emc2-install.sh" that (Tim Cradek? I think) created. It went real smooth. The biggest problem I ran into was not reading the instructions on the wiki close enough about creating the user configuration directory.

Alan

I loaded the Dapper 6.06 system and ran the emc2-install.sh script but it refused to install emc2. Has anyone else had any luck with that?

Alan

I had no problem with the emc2-install.sh on two Dapper 6.06 systems.

Are you using the correct script for Dapper?

Stephen

I was using the correct script. I don't know what was going on, I had tried it about five times but I tried it again and this time it worked.

Alan

I'm trying to install Ubuntu and EMC2 from the Live CD. It runs from the CD, but refuses to install. Right now I'm downloading again as I can't get the CD to verify itself anymore. My first CD didn't work either.

I did get as far as 66% installed several times but it just hangs there.

I'm trying to install in an older PC, P3 800 and 512MB. It's a bit slow waking up but I'm not sure why it's not working. It seems people have installed on smaller PC than this.

Is there any significant difference between in using EMC2 between the Coolcnc with puppy and this?

I have installed the dapper on a pentium II 400 with no issues. I have had issues with it and certain video cards... Could you try a different video card?

sam

I've actually tried a couple. One was an old PCI card and right now I have an ATI Rage 128 in it. I do have an ATI 3D Pro or something I could try. I'm trying again now, so if it doesn't work I'll try the other video card.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_Pilot View Post
    I'm trying to install Ubuntu and EMC2 from the Live CD. It runs from the CD, but refuses to install. Right now I'm downloading again as I can't get the CD to verify itself anymore. My first CD didn't work either.

I did get as far as 66% installed several times but it just hangs there.

I'm trying to install in an older PC, P3 800 and 512MB. It's a bit slow waking up but I'm not sure why it's not working. It seems people have installed on smaller PC than this.

Is there any significant difference between in using EMC2 between the Coolcnc with puppy and this?
    i had some issues installing from the live cd as well , i was persistent and finally got it after a number of reboots , seems to work well still need to connect to my router to test it , it appears to be harder on my resources than xp was ,it will be interesting to see how emc performs

I've had no luck with the live CD. The md5sum for the iso checks out. But when I check the burned CD, squash.fs fails. I tried installing on another box and it crashed too. I'm try a regular distributed Ubuntu download. I tried different hard drives and video cards.

This has to work somehow. I'm not giving up yet.

I did get turbocnc to boot from a compact flash on another PC. With two flash slots I have OS and file transfers. It boots in seconds.

Well I think my problem came down to bad CD's created on my PC. I finally got a CD that checks out by making it on my laptop. I don't know why my XP athalon Box had issues with making a CD.

It still bnombed twice but after activating the swap drive and making sure it didn't format it during install it worked.

We'll see how it goes from here.

i think im going to try the other bdi emc software , the emc works quite well on my system and running the motors smoothly when things are stable ,the ubuntu is killing the fun out of it , im testing it on an older p2 560 cpu with 384 ram and ubuntu is way to heavy for it , ive run xp on that pc and it ran really good concidering its old ,so ubuntu has got go , waste of system resources
    i do like the emc so im getting onto the next install soon

I noticed my P3 800 was running at 80-90% while EMC was running a file. I don't know if that's good or not.

i think its the ubuntu ,its a hog , its too bad because it is nice ,
    ive tested the emc debian bdi version and i found it far faster ,i never took the time to configure it ,and test it on my machine ,after having both running on the same computer i think debian is far more stable than ubuntu , and a cleaner looking software , im reinstalling that and won t be looking back