586,069 active members*
3,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Laser cutter/engraver not moving along the Y axis

Hi all,

I have a second hand Chinese lasercutter (JSM 6540H) that I've not been able to get working. The current issue is that it doesn't seem to want to move along the Y axis.

When I push the "Test" button with a loaded file, it makes a juddering vibrating noise, and then moves only along the X axis. Normally it should quickly move along the outline of the image to be engraved/cut.

No idea what I should be checking. The only thing I've done is replace the limit switches, because it was easy.

Any advice of what I could be looking at gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance.

Lose stepper motor pulley?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick61 View Post
    Hi all,

I have a second hand Chinese lasercutter (JSM 6540H) that I've not been able to get working. The current issue is that it doesn't seem to want to move along the Y axis.

When I push the "Test" button with a loaded file, it makes a juddering vibrating noise, and then moves only along the X axis. Normally it should quickly move along the outline of the image to be engraved/cut.

No idea what I should be checking. The only thing I've done is replace the limit switches, because it was easy.

Thanks in advance.
    First I would check the set screws on the stepper motor pulley, that's what it sounds like to me. If that's not the cause, check all the wiring concerning the Y axis drive, all the away from the controller. On my machine I have found wire splice by being twisted together with no solder under a neat peace of heat shrink tubing!
    One way to troubleshoot is by switching the plugs on the X and Y stepper motor drivers going to the motors.
    Good luck!

Lose stepper motor pulley?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.
    First I would check the set screws on the stepper motor pulley, that's what it sounds like to me. Also check the belt tension. If that's not the cause, check all the wiring concerning the Y axis drive, all the away from the controller. On my machine I have found wire splice by being twisted together with no solder under a neat peace of heat shrink tubing!
    One way to troubleshoot is by switching the plugs on the X and Y stepper motor drivers going to the motors.
    Good luck!

thunderlaser Guest
    Hi Rick
    Could you please try to check the driver with Steps per Revelution is correctly for the y-axis settings?
    Also please check the y-axis pulse setting is correctly?
    When the driver or pulse setting are wrong, the motor will makes a juddering noise or harsh noise.
    So i suggest that you would check them firstly
    If you sure the driver and y-axis pulse setting of software are correctly, then you just go to check the belts or gears whether they have faulted or not

Sincerely
    Tom
    Thunderlaser- leading provider of laser cutter and laser engraver from China

Thank you both, I'll check these out.

good luck to you:wave:
    www.thunderlaser.com

Re: Laser cutter/engraver not moving along the Y axis

So as far as I can tell all the software machine option settings are now ok, I've changed the pulse settings as per the manual. There was no option for steps per revolution settings, or else it was called something else, but I changed all figures to those in the manual. I also kept a screen shot of the original settings so I can put it all back the way it was if need be.

I changed the X and Y motor driver plugs over. The result was the Y axis buttons on the machine that usually moved the laser head along the Y axis now moved the laser head along the X axis (as expected). However the X axis buttons which should now move the laser head along the Y axis since we swapped over did not move the laser head at all.

The X and Y lights on the controller card illuminate as appropriate when attempting to move the laser head around or when it tries to return to Datum (which it can't do because of the lack of movement along the y axis).

So this makes me think that the fault is mechanical rather than software, but I don't know what to do about it. Replace the small motor that drives the Y axis pulleys maybe?

Is there anything I could replace first?

thanks again!

Hi
    First check Y axis movemet manually with machine off.
    Is it moving easy or stucks?
    Is the gantry set corecctly? Isnt it skewed?
    When moving manually gantry check belts and transmission from the motor.
    And the last check the motor without any load.
    CNC lasers, constructions, service

So as far as I can tell all the software machine option settings are now ok, I've changed the pulse settings as per the manual. There was no option for steps per revolution settings, or else it was called something else, but I changed all figures to those in the manual. I also kept a screen shot of the original settings so I can put it all back the way it was if need be.

I changed the X and Y motor driver plugs over. The result was the Y axis buttons on the machine that usually moved the laser head along the Y axis now moved the laser head along the X axis (as expected). However the X axis buttons which should now move the laser head along the Y axis since we swapped over did move the laser head at all.

The X and Y lights on the controller card illuminate as appropriate when attempting to move the laser head around or when it tries to return to Datum (which it can't do because of the lack of movement along the y axis).

So this makes me think that the fault is mechanical rather than software, but I don't know what to do about it. Replace the small motor that drives the Y axis pulleys maybe?

thanks again!
    I think now is the time to get out your ohmmeter and checked the wiring from the stepper motor controller to the stepper motor. The Chinese are notorious for bad wiring and connections :-(
    The stepper motor wires are usually only about 12 inches long so there are 3 or 4 splices, depending on the motor type, between it and the controller. When you find the open wire you must check these splices before you replaced the motor.
    Here is how you do it:
    How Can I Determine My Stepper Motor Wiring Without the Stepper Motor Pinout? - National Instruments

Good Luck!
    Rolf

P.S. The above link might not be the best but maybe it will give you the understanding.

I changed the X and Y motor driver plugs over. The result was the Y axis buttons on the machine that usually moved the laser head along the Y axis now moved the laser head along the X axis (as expected). However the X axis buttons which should now move the laser head along the Y axis since we swapped over did move the laser head at all.

thanks again!
    I think now is the time to get out your ohmmeter and checked the wiring from the stepper motor controller to the stepper motor. The Chinese are notorious for bad wiring and connections :-(
    The stepper motor wires are usually only about 12 inches long so there are 3 or 4 splices, depending on the motor type, between it and the controller. When you find the open wire you must check these splices before you replaced the motor.
    Here is how you do it:
    How Can I Determine My Stepper Motor Wiring Without the Stepper Motor Pinout? - National Instruments

Good Luck!

Rolf

P.S. Sorry for the double post, my hands must be a little shaky this morning :-(