586,042 active members*
3,811 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

G0704 Problem

Afternoon everyone,

ran into a problem today. Was milling some aluminum, nothing crazy and my end mill stop cutting. The motor was still running, but the end mill wasn't doing anything. Don't have time to look at anything now. Got to head to work, but I wanted to hear from others. If they ran into this issue before. Will look at after work. The collet looks fine and all the way seated. Making a odd noise also.

Thanks,
    Steve

Check to see if it popped out of gear (HI/LOW)
    Check if the intermediate plastic gears stripped or a gear key came out.
    Check if the collet (I'm guessing R8) tightens fully, the pin may have sheared, it can still be used without a pin though.
    These are some simpler things to look at first.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Afternoon Hoss, and thanks for the help. I always enjoy your post and reading about the G0704 conversions. Can't wait to do mine this summer. Well, after going over your list you posted. I found the issue with my G0704. It was the plastic gear. P0704209 GEAR 37T is the one that junked out on me. What's really wild and I can't believe this gear just junked out. I've only used the mill twice and it's new. Nothing crazy and this gear junks. I attached some pictures, so you can see. Off coarse the gear is out of stock. Does anyone make a metal gear? I just started entry level lathe and cnc lathe classes at local Community College, and I'm sure one of the teachers would help out. Were on spring break now and this sucks. Guess, I'll order a new plastic one and wait. Then, take the new gear to school and make one out of metal. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve

Attachment 228774

Attachment 228776

Attachment 228778

Have not seen a direct metal replacement but you can replace the set and gain some rpm.
    Projects Gear Mod
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

I'm going to try a variation of the Gear Mod Hoss listed. I'm going on the assumption (and we all know what that can mean, LOL) that as long as I keep to a 72MM (36MM+36MM) total I can change the ratio around some.

The advantage is that you still get some extra speed but not so fast that you need new bearings for it.

The second advantage is that the 36MM gear isn't in stock, but the 30 and 42 tooth gears ARE in stock, LOL. (Well, they were anyway.)

I'll post the results, it may save you some legwork and time anyway.
    Q: How many tools does it take before a simple task becomes a project?
    A: Just one. I'm the Tool that turns a simple task in to a project.

Thanks Hoss, must have missed that conversion writen on your site. Thanks for linking me. I think when I start the cnc conversion. I'll do the gear swop. Thanks

TroyO, thanks for the info. Not good with gears and ratio's. I'll be keeping an eye on your info. Sounds like a good solid plan. Can't wait to see how it turn out for you. Thanks for sharing.

Well, I placed an order with Grizzly yesterday for a new replacement gear. Knowing it was out of stock and I got an email stating this. "Due to high demand, we are currently out of stock of the P0704209 Gear and expect to receive a shipment on approximately May 14, 2014. We apologize for the delay and any inconvenience this may cause. We will ship this item to you as soon as it is available." So, I'm going to take the junked up gear to class on monday and see about making a metal one at one of my classes. I'm taking entry level classes at local CC. Taking lathe and CNC lathe classes. Teacher are pretty nice and I think they will be stocked to help out

I'll post an update once I get going. I'm thinking cold rolled steel. Any thoughts on metal type?
    Thanks,
    Steve

Re: G0704 Problem

I think I have one from my machine. Let me check? I have L size belt drive on mine. I think I got the hi.lo Plastic gear also if anyone needs it.
    Later
    CH

Yep one of each.
    CH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO View Post
    I'm going to try a variation of the Gear Mod Hoss listed. I'm going on the assumption (and we all know what that can mean, LOL) that as long as I keep to a 72MM (36MM+36MM) total I can change the ratio around some.

The advantage is that you still get some extra speed but not so fast that you need new bearings for it.

The second advantage is that the 36MM gear isn't in stock, but the 30 and 42 tooth gears ARE in stock, LOL. (Well, they were anyway.)

I'll post the results, it may save you some legwork and time anyway.
    Hi All
    The metal gears deal is cool, lot of speed increase. Problem is the inside Hi/Lo plastic melts real quick or they blowup. Get the belt drive done ASAP and get rid of all the plastic crap.
    CH

If you don't need that 37T gear. I'd be willing to drop a money order in the mail. Shoot me a pm and I'll get one in the mail. Still going to go metal gears down the road.

Thanks,
    Steve

Just PM me you address and I'll send it right out. No charge. I have got a lot of help from here and other people. So glad to help out.
    CH

Thanks, just sent you a pm. This will get me up and running. Gear junked out in the middle of a project.
    Thanks again,
    Steve

It is in the mail box. it will go out in the am.
    CH

Thanks a bunch. Means allot to me and I'll let you know when it gets here. Tomorrow in class I'm going to show them the old gear and see about making a metal one. I'll keep everyone posted.
    Thanks again,
    Steve

Just a note to G0704 owners. Grizzly finally has the 37T plastic gear in stock. If you need one, now is the time. Even if you don't need one, if you run the stock drivetrain in your 704, you should have 1 or 2 of these suckers on the shelf. You will need it sometime and then you will be waiting 3-6 months like I just did.

Thanks for this note. I just ordered my G0704 Mill and included this 37T gears 2 Nos. I plan to add the belt drive mod in the future but who knows if I break the gear I will need this.

Exactly. We all plan on upgrading to belt drive...at some point. But then in the meantime you chew up that stupid plastic gear once or twice...like I did! But my Hoss'd 704 makes you thInk it is a much bigger machine than it actually is. So the cuts get bigger and bigger until that gear rejects! So I ordered a 4 pack lol.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

Accidental post....oops