586,639 active members*
2,983 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > MasterCam vs. VCarve
Page 1 of 2 12

MasterCam vs. VCarve

For those of you that have used Vcarve, is it possible for MasterCam to utilize the Vbit as such as VCarve? I already have access to Mastercam, though im very green and have not found the proper routine for this to work, I dont really want to purchase Vcarve if i dont have to.

Hi kc5rui,

VCarving in Mastercam is called Engraving and although you would expect a high-end product like this to include VCarving as a standard feature, it's a cost option for the Router+ modules. Not available for the Entry product.

See > http://www.mastercam.com/Products/Router/default.aspx towards the bottom of the page.

If you do have this option I'd be very interested to know how you get on with it? And whether you think it offers the cutting strategies such as Flat Bottom VCarve with multiple cutters and Edge Profiling etc. in VCarve Wizard.

For information, you may wish to take a look at the new features in VCarve Pro that will be released at the end of June. We are renaming the software as it now offers a very complete and powerful set of tools.

What's New in VCarve Pro

Tony

I have the Engraving Toolpath option available to me, and splash screen on startup shows router lvl 3

And also Tony, there is no doubt that I will purchase Vectric's software, I enjoyed the trial versions and I know I will love the full versions. Unfortunatly money is tight and I have current access to Mastercam right now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1144.JPG  

Very nice carving kc5rui.

I'm very interested to know how you get on with the Engrave functionality?

Tony

That im not sure of... its at a local business that dosent even have anything to do with CNC, so no one around there knows anything about it either.

I did play around with it some more yesterday and made some progress, but still havent quite got it to work.

Family saw how I was cutting out airplane parts about 9 months ago and was asked to make some new cabinet doors, so figured I should finally give it a try.

Most what I see can be done without the engraving option in mastercam by the way.
    As you can see tony it comes with are higher level of router and can even be add to our Level 1 of mill.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Hi Cadcam,

I understand that Mastercam certainly has many more machining strategies than VCarve Wizard, but I don't believe the wood carving kc5rui has machined can be done without the 3D Engrave functionality?

Tony

Agreed, Thats the feature im trying to figure out. I can get it to carve all day long on a flat plane, but cant seem to find where it will square off the shapes on various Z levels. -- Im here working on it again (crossfingers)

Ok, Why does it want to know the depth of cut when I want it to figure that out for me. Secondly, why on the second screen it clearly shows me what I want but insists on pocketing out the letter at whatever depth I tell it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails screen.JPG  

Hows is it to know unless you draw the geo to depth.

(why on the second screen it clearly shows me what I want but insists on pocketing out the letter at whatever depth I tell it.) what are you using for geo show me a pick or send me the file.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Im at home now, dont have the file, but im just trying to Engrave the letter T. I dont understand why I would have to draw the letter T in 3D, wouldnt that be the job of the "Engraving Toolpath" feature? I would image it decided on the depth of the Vbit according to the width of the vectors, deeper in the wider parts and shallower in the narrow parts, not to exceed the width of the tool, 0.5". If i have to draw every letter in a 3rd demension that is going to be tough.

no you do not have to draw it in 3d just. just 2d and the depth can be diffrent on diffrent aps that why it does not know. it creates the vcorner to create the shrape corner using any dia but the tool may not fit in some letters.

Are you using Vx or V9?
    Cadcam

X

I am playin right now in X MR2 wit it

Do you want it like this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tengrave.jpg  
    Cadcam

YES!!!!, you are the king

Here is my file for you to take to work and review.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: zip T.zip (13.2 KB, 55 views)
    Cadcam

Thank you. I will backwards engineer it and post a new one for you to look at.

Ok, I couldnt wait i had to go see if it worked and it didnt. Included the splash screen image so you could tell me if i even can run it. The only error that i got was the mention of it changing the location of the .nc file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mcamX.JPG  

Vcarve Pro

Tony,

Will the price for Vcarve Pro increase over ver2.0?

Thanks,

Chris R.

Page 1 of 2 12