586,055 active members*
4,379 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Chinese Laser cutter Fault

I have just bought one of those desktop Chinese laser cutter machines. I set it all up expecting to all go smooth (how wrong was I). When I turned the machine on the laser head moves to the left hits the stop switch then moves to the back of the machine, but there does not seem to be a stop switch and when it goes back as far as it will go it just starts making a slight banging noise. If anyone can help me on this then that would be great.

thunderlaser Guest
    Hi Bluestorm
    I think that this issue is caused by the x-axis or y-axis of pulses are wrong, or the working table with range setting is wrong.
    Do you have a check both?
    If the x-axis or y-axis of pulse is wrong, the laser head to move to the whole work table will be more than or less than the actual work table, then it is also possible to hit the limit switch.
    How to check the x-axis or y-axis of pulses.
    Please just cutting a square (100mm x 100mm) with the laser, then check it if it is really the same size.
    If not, please adjust it again.
    2. Please check the working range were correctly, if not, also adjust it until works fine.

Sincerely
    Tom
    Thunderlaser- leading provider of laser cutter and laser engraver from China

Re: Chinese Laser cutter Fault

You'd better check the micro switch (Both X & Y) . If the limit switch bracket can hit the micro switch perfectly . I do not think yours can .May be a little bit deviation,which lead hitting the stop switch constantly . Or you have to check the cables from the micro switch to controller , if they loosed, make sure the cables are open .

Regards,
    Ms.Mary

Thanks for the reply's, I have uploaded a video of what happens when I turn the machine on, as its better to see the problem than explain it. Thunderlaser I'm unable to cut anything until I sort the problem out with the machine, Thanks.

thunderlaser Guest

Hi Bluestorm
    you are right, that will be better to explain this problem,
    But now i am not able to see the video, and please set the video to "open for all people" or other something.
    Awaiting for your reply

Sincerely
    Tom

I have now made the video public, please try again.

For the prolem

Quote Originally Posted by bluestorm View Post
    The position limit switch does not work. You need to buy a new limit switch replace the old one.

Re: For the prolem

Is this the part I require that is arrowed on the image? where can I buy one from in the UK? and will I need to buy it attached to the board or can I solder it on?
    Attachment 229122
    Quote Originally Posted by lasertube View Post
    The position limit switch does not work. You need to buy a new limit switch replace the old one.

The Y axis limit is an optical switch. Check that the metal tab on the carriage goes between the two halves of the switch. You should also be able to check by sliding a bit of cardboard in there to see if it stops. Also check the wiring, especially the ribbon cable at the other end where it meets the controller board.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? If you're near Redhill, Surrey I might be able to help.

thunderlaser Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bluestorm View Post
    Sorry for late answer
    After i watched the video, then i have a more question?
    That is when the laser head moving to left of the machine, the x-axis limit switch is working well, but when the laser head moving to back of machine, the y-axis limit switch is not working, right?
    If yes, please refer to the following steps to check where is the problem.
    1. please swap both limit switches with x-axis and y-axis of machine, then check the y-axis limit switch if it is working well
    2. if it is still the same with the problem. that is say the limit switch is working well, the issue is caused by other stuff.
    3. turn the laser on again, when the laser head moves to near the limit switch , please press the stop button on the control panel
    then cutting a square (100mm x 100mm) with the laser, then check it if it is really the same size.
    If the cutting size is not 100mm x 100mm, please change the y-axis pulse to a correct value, then running the laser again.
    4. if the y-axis pulse is correctly, please check the wiring of y-axis limit switch, if there has any interface are loosed.

Sincerely
    Tom

Hi Fred27, I have checked what you suggested and the optical switch is not working. Do you have one I could buy from you, or can you send me a link where to get one, as I need it urgent. I'm based in Bolton Lancs so it's a bit far for me to travel to you. Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27 View Post
    The Y axis limit is an optical switch. Check that the metal tab on the carriage goes between the two halves of the switch. You should also be able to check by sliding a bit of cardboard in there to see if it stops. Also check the wiring, especially the ribbon cable at the other end where it meets the controller board.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? If you're near Redhill, Surrey I might be able to help.

I'm not sure where to get a spare. If I get a chance I'll take a look inside mine to see if I can identify it. There's a reasonable chance it's a loose connection somewhere though. If you bought it new on eBay maybe the seller could help you.

Unfortunately thunderlaser's suggestion of swapping switches won't help as the X axis one is a mechanical switch. (No idea why they're different, but they are.)

These are fun little machines, but unfortunately only if you don't mind tinkering with them and aren't in a hurry.

By the way, that grinding noise won't be good for the motor or belt so try not to do it too often.

Took a closer look at your photo. There is a metal tab that goes into the slot in the black optical switch, isn't there? I can't see one in the photo but it might be obscured. Blocking the light between the two halves is how it operates. Mine was originally a bit bent and fouled the switch a bit. I'll try to take a photo when I get home.

It looks a bit like this e bay item 350924658372 but I dont want to buy it and it be wrong. I had to open a case against the seller as they are not helpful one bit and try to fob me off every time with different excuses, I have sent the video to them twice now as they never received the 1st one. I have had the laser cutter for over 2 weeks now and its just sitting there gathering dust. Do you think HPC in Halifax might have the part I'm after? Thanks again.

thunderlaser Guest

I'm not sure where to get a spare. If I get a chance I'll take a look inside mine to see if I can identify it. There's a reasonable chance it's a loose connection somewhere though. If you bought it new on eBay maybe the seller could help you.

Unfortunately thunderlaser's suggestion of swapping switches won't help as the X axis one is a mechanical switch. (No idea why they're different, but they are.)

These are fun little machines, but unfortunately only if you don't mind tinkering with them and aren't in a hurry.

By the way, that grinding noise won't be good for the motor or belt so try not to do it too often.
    Hi Fred27
    Sorry, even if our machine with limit switch went bad, they are also not work.
    We only just replace it later
    But there is really rarely went bad even never worse for the limit switches
    I suggest that Mr.Bluestorm try to swapping both switches, just try to the limit switch if it is really broken.
    If the optical switch is broken already, i think we just need to replace it by buy a new one.
    (Before our customers occurs such these problem are due to the pulse setting or the wring of limit switches are wrong caused)
    There has any way to contact with the manufacturers of machine to buy a new one from them?
    Or we would try to buy a new one from ebay as you said that, but there must check it clear with the same type of limit switch.

Sincerely
    Tom

thunderlaser Guest

Hi Fred27
    Sorry, even if our machine with limit switch went bad, they are also not work.
    We only just replace it later
    But there is really rarely went bad even never worse for the limit switches
    I suggest that Mr.Bluestorm try to swapping both switches, just try to the limit switch if it is really broken.
    If the optical switch is broken already, i think we just need to replace it by buy a new one.
    (Before our customers occurs such these problem are due to the pulse setting or the wring of limit switches are wrong caused)
    There has any way to contact with the manufacturers of machine to buy a new one from them?
    Or we would try to buy a new one from ebay as you said that, but there must check it clear with the same type of limit switch.

Sincerely
    Tom

Why not just take the wires off of the bad switch and go buy a micro switch to replace the bad switch. I upgraded my machine and eliminated the original switches to make the cutting area larger. You just need to 'hot glue' the new micro switch in a spot that will stop the head where you want it to. A new micro switch should not cost more that a couple of dollars.

Milt

@thunderlaser You can't just swap the switches on a DC-K40. The Y limit switch is optical and the X limit switch is mechanical. At least that's how mine is set up.