586,080 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 1997 Fadal VMC 15 to Mach 3 retrofit
Page 1 of 3 123

1997 Fadal VMC 15 to Mach 3 retrofit

Hey Hey!

So I just picked up a 1997 fadal vmc 15 for a super cheap deal! 2k!

Needs a resolver and thrust bearings, but those are cheap.

it has a ton of surface rust LOL

So here are some vids, I plan on getting it up and running and functional. Then retrofitting it to mach 3. I will be selling the controller if anyone is interested.

Thanks

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGIsIfosnOg
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT4aucyEVBQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YSnE9glMLY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI5MrvP8ndc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8I0QBqgVo-Y

more soon!

sorry how much ??? seriously , you make me wanna cry

it was a great deal, but as you can see I have a lot of work to get it clean and running

Did your mama drop you on your head?
    Mach3 is crap compared to the Fadal control.
    And most homemade retrofits never quite work right .
    One major problem is the windows based os isn't stable, they hiccup.
    you can convert it to single phase.

It wants good 3phase power not a homemade phase-converter but a cncgrade one.
    All the component boads are available at reasonable prices either new or rebuilt.
    VMCelectric is one place that has the boards fadalcnc is another download the books.
    It is eproms no hard drive or floppy for the main controller.
    wild idea hit the jog key to get into jog mode.

You want to go to stepper from servos that's a joke right?
    get a clue read the manual .
    There isn't much wrong with it other the serious operator error,
    they told you it had a bad resolver replace the resolver
    Probably for a few thousand at most you can have a good working very reliable machine

wd40 and a scothcbright to get rid of the surface rust

Quote Originally Posted by LSM View Post
    Did your mama drop you on your head?
    Mach3 is crap compared to the Fadal control.
    And most homemade retrofits never quite work right .
    One major problem is the windows based os isn't stable, they hiccup.
    you can convert it to single phase.

It wants good 3phase power not a homemade phase-converter but a cncgrade one.
    All the component boads are available at reasonable prices either new or rebuilt.
    VMCelectric is one place that has the boards fadalcnc is another download the books.
    It is eproms no hard drive or floppy for the main controller.
    wild idea hit the jog key to get into jog mode.

You want to go to stepper from servos that's a joke right?
    get a clue read the manual .
    There isn't much wrong with it other the serious operator error,
    they told you it had a bad resolver replace the resolver
    Probably for a few thousand at most you can have a good working very reliable machine

wd40 and a scothcbright to get rid of the surface rust
    What he said.

Re: 1997 Fadal VMC 15 to Mach 3 retrofit

No no no ... You got it all wrong , the fadal system is crap ... Mach3 is so much easier

Ps I'll send my shipping address for the fadal stuff ... Just wrap in a big box !

Haha, such lovely responses...

First off, no one really told me what was wrong with it, this is all me figuring it out. The only thing they mentioned was the table slop.

Do your research before you dog a controller. Mach 3 paired with a DSPMC or CSMIO it a rock solid combo. It takes away all the latency crap from windows and does everything on board the motion controller.

Also, who the hell said I was gonna put steppers on? Wtf? Now that is retarded.... I can use all the existing servos and drives with a DSPMC motion controller. I can use the spindle drive, tool carousel, etc.

But all in all, if I most likely won't convert it to mach 3, as long as I can get everything to work nicely.

Some advantages of mach 3 are:

Add a 4th and 5 axis trunion, and drive cards, and your in business.
    Auto tool touch off macro.
    Tool digitizer
    No more annoying dripfeed.
    Faster rapids when I use an encoder instead of resolver....
    Customizable screen sets

But I am new to fadal control, I will learn and master it. Then I will decide on the retrofit....

Thanks for the reply guys

One Question,

One of my linear rail trucks has the bearings falling out, the end cap got slightly dislodged and some of the balls came out, anyone know if I can repack them? Have not looked at them yet.

Thanks

Mike

nice deal. Go to FIVESMSI.com for real OEM PARTS..

Mike,

Lucky dog, Wish it was mine. I would try and correct all the mechanical issues the way it is, then explore the retrofit option. I am with you on mach 3 and CS-Labs Boards. The other option to look at is the FlashCut Setup. Dave Decaussin has retrofitted a VMC15 with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3DOs8I1Ec

Thanks Vert and Scruz,

I called Flashcut, and they require an entire retrofit with new drives and motors, because they can not inferface existing motors and drives. The DSPMC and CSMIO can, but are like 1k for the controller...DSPMC is US based, and CSMIO is in europe I think....

Hey Vert, have you used the CS labs board before?

To answer and earlier statement, about converting to single phase, I read this in the manual, but you de rate the spindle power and motors to 60%. This is not what I would like.

And that rotary phase converter is CNC grade...not home built... it looks like it because I moved it all from my front shop, and had the panels and jimmyed the wiries to power it up....

Best quote ever, "Think before you speak". I too have trouble with this concept LOL

Mike,
    No, I have not tried CS-Labs boards, but have read a lot of good retrofits with them. If I find a capable VMC15 that will be my option if sticking with original drives and motors.

Sounds like they gave it away because of mechanical issues,
    need to pull all the covers and check the conditions of the linear ways and ball screws.
    A 97 should already be set up for 4th axis and can be expanded to 5,
    now you might get lucky and find a 5axis table for $15000 used new is something like $26000

A vmc 15 is a good garage home shop machine relatively small, and not a huge spindle motor, if it has the 10 hp you will need a 30hp converter.
    it needs adequate clean dry air , it's faster then a Haas toolroom, cheap to work on relatively and dirt simple.
    it well supported parts wise, in no way is it an orphan.

Are you going to g code by hand?
    if not it's all in the post processor guess what Fadal is one of the controllers that is well supported there, just like Haas, Mach3 not so much.
    People don't buy a Haas normally and plan to do a control retrofit why because the one it came with works well and you can repair it.
    Same thing with the Fadal they work and you can get the parts to repair them.
    Not great candidates for retrofit project leave them alone.

Now something that is a n orphan like Brigdeprot controllers, or that are horribly expensive to work on, yes find one with a dead controller and do a retrofit.
    But even then probably want to go with something like a Centroid.

Hi LSM, this fadal is not setup for 4th or 5th axis, only 3 drive cards. But I dont do any 4/5 axis work anyways.

I did take off all the covers to see how eveything is doing. Like I said I probably won't do a retrofit, as long as it all works OK .

I can post process fanuc gcode just fine. Its the whole DNC drip feed that I am not thrilled about....

I will be working on the machine next week as I just finished epoxy coating my shop floor . I will update everyone then

Hi LSM, this fadal is not setup for 4th or 5th axis, only 3 drive cards, perhaps in the controller yes... But I dont do any 4/5 axis work anyways. This is just hobby stuff for me ;D

I did take off all the covers to see how eveything is doing, one of the linear rail trucks have failed, and there is slop in the table, so I have to see if its the ballscrew or thrust bearing...

Like I said I probably won't do a retrofit, as long as it all works OK .

I can post process fanuc gcode just fine. Its the whole DNC drip feed that I am not thrilled about....

I will be working on the machine next week as I just finished epoxy coating my shop floor . I will update everyone then

Format 2 is similar to fanuc dnc isn't a big deal like all the older machines you can buy adapters.
    I worried about that part of an older machine to, for the older Haas you get a usb floppy emulator,
    for the Fadal calmotion makes an nice adapter, just plug a flash drive into it, only limitation is you have to keep the file names short just like dos

It's when the iron part gets worn out that the become junk, good news is you can replace the linear ways.
    keep in mind machine dollars are like boat dollars one machine dollar is 1000 regular dollars.

Take it from someone that has done a Mach 3 retrofit first then graduated to a fadal control.

If it works don't stuff with it. I do 3d work and dnc programs and no problem. Mastercam post for fadal is perfect (format 2)

You need to work out if it is the destination or the journey. For me it was the destination so needed to get up and running making parts where as when I did the Mach 3 conversion it was always a work in progress. The thing I learnt the most about Mach 3 was to never do it again as the professionals do it better than I can.

Fadal control IMO is brilliant. I am very impressed with it.

Good luck repairing the mechanicals and as you mentioned get to know the control first before making rash decisions

I do right now a retrofit on an bridgeport 412 interact which is in verry Good mechanical condition,.. ( of course Not with windowsn) so i am verry interested where your Journey Takes you ,..

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Hello Deano, do you have the format 2 post processor for mastercam? If so, could you e-mail it to me? Or point me to where I can get it?

I was learning linuxcnc for awhile but that was such a pain to learn and program....

Journey, or Destination....

Well I need to make some plates to finish my CHNC's. But I don't machine for a business, if I did, I would not retrofit, I would just buy a new machine...

So for me, its a little of both the journey and the destination.

One thing I found very interesting on these fadals is the fact that there are no limit switches on the x and y! Kinda, goofy if you ask me....

The only thing I would miss without mach 3 is probably the auto tool zero and touch off, hand held MPG, no dnc drip feed, customizable screens, digital probing, auto workpiece offsets, tool touchoff, and auto part zeros, etc.....

Deano, what mach3 set up did you use? i.e. DSPMC controller? CSMIO controller? Smooth Stepper? or just parallel port....?

Let me know,

Thanks

Mike

Fadal post Comes with mx5 along with haas posts. I am only a hobby user but seemed to be spending most of my time stuffing around with the machine in one way or another and not making swarf with it.

You can add probing etc to the control and a mpg also.

I don't find fixture set up or tool set up a issue. The wizards in the UT menu are a great help.

I used s/step and yaskawa ac servos. Had a couple of weird problems like that pesky watchdog issue others experienced. Also it starting an op in completely the wrong spot destroying the job even after all the ealier parts in the batch worked out great. Everything would go into reset when I pressed the foot brake on my manual lathe on the opposite side of the shed.

I have found my travel limits a couple of times. It is no issue. If you are manually jogging the axis just stops and you jog away from the limit. If it is in a program it stop feeding and tells you that you have reached the limit so you can do something about it. I am yet to experience anything goofy about the lack of limit switches.

Page 1 of 3 123