586,103 active members*
3,534 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 1997 Fadal VMC 15 to Mach 3 retrofit
Page 2 of 3 123

Re: 1997 Fadal VMC 15 to Mach 3 retrofit

Deano, could I see your tool change atc macro? Mach 3

Also, which motion controller did you use? Plain old PP? ethernet SS? DSPMC? etc...
    The reason being is that the closed loop DSPMC and CSMIO options dont rely on the windows jitter to make steps and dir for outputs....it does eveything on board, just like a normal industrial motion controller...

If your using Parallel port, thats where u are gonna have issues, even if you use usb or ethernet. Without a DSPMC or CSMIO, you kinda only relying on the computer... not the motion controller.

Also what kind of machine do you have? got any pics? vids?

I used Ethernet smooth stepper.
    I retrofitted a Knee mill like yours in the vids.

I have since sold that machine as I never used it once I got my fadal.

I have a vmc10. 500x400x500mm travel. Ridged tap, 10hp motor 21tool atc, all linear ways. Great machine for the money.

No vids as yet. Here I it once I moved it into my shop. I also had to remove the z servo and the wire and hose caterpillar to get it under my door.

Nice machine, im kind of on the border about not having that front enclosure of yours...I hate getting coolant on me or on the floor....how much did you pick it up for?

HAHAH I too had to disconnect the zaxis and cable track to get it in my back shop....

Mike I had to do that to get mine in the garage to, well actually the movers did it, fairly common actually.
    I had to cut a hole in the ceiling for the motor and cable rail to clear.
    Full enclosure is the only way to go

Going from the mach3 Tormach to the Fadal vmc40 function wise is a big step up, the GUI on the mach is prettier looking but that's it's only real advantage.
    Mine is a plain old 88 controller not 88Hs the 88 comes from the Intel 88 series processor each axis has it's own processor and the one on the mother board.

tool changer is one of the place that people have a hard time getting to work right with retrofits

With the adapter I post my file to the flash drive unplug it from the cadcam computer stick it in the usb port on the Fadal,
    once machine is running type CD,10 enter, then TA,filename+ and it will load program into the machine memory.
    Or CD,10 enter DNC,filename+ and it will run off the flashdrive.
    not an issue

Mine has the guard around the table. See pic . Stuff all gets on the floor etc. makes it easier to get in and around the table but I would prefer to have a full enclosure.

Paid $9500 for mine only done 2000 hours. Not a massive amount of machines to choose from here in OZ. especially something with a 7500 rpm spindle and able to handle 3d toolpaths.

So what kind of tolerances where you able to hold? Where did you find out how many hours were on the machine within the control?

Thanks

Mike

Never had to do much work where I have had to finish to tight tolerances. But have no reason to doubt it will give me whatever result I am after.

Go to the space bar menu (press multiple times to cycle through them) and look for the 'clocks' will show spindle run & power on hours from memory

If you elect to upgrade the control, you may also want to consider the Dynomotion KFlop. It is affordable, has great support, and does not rely on Windows. I have a Fadal that I would like to convert it with. But I'll have to get some practice on a Brother with conversational control first. For now, I'm happy with the Fadal control as is.

Dynomotion Motion Control Boards for CNC Manufacturing and Robotics Applications

Cool, thanks for the tip with the power on time, and such. Tomorrow I am back in the shop painting the final walls and ceiling. Then Ill put my RPC together nicely, and then run proper power back to power panel. So I will be making a video of it up and running, along with trying the spindle, draw bar, etc. I have yet to buy some cat 40 tooling, I will have to buy some tomorrow just to get started. Perhaps a drill chuck, and a collet holder, and a compression tapping head.

Anyone got any used tooling they want to sell?

loddie, thanks for the tip for the Kflop, I have researched it before and will need to check it out again if I retrofit it.

I think what I might do is add the retrofit on the side of the fanuc control, meaning I could use mach 3 when I want to, and use the fadal control when I want to also. The only issue would be the resolvers on the motors, I don't think they can interface with mach 3....?

If you have r/tap you don't need a tapping head.
    I am buggered if I can understand why you would want to run dual controls if the fadal control works fine.

At this stage it sounds like you want to do the retrofit just because you want to do it not because the machine actually needs it

If that is the case then that is fine just say so but since you have zero experience with the fadal control I think it would be wise to use the fadal control for a while first before you make up your mind.
    But then again if you just want to retrofit cause you want to then I would just cut all the wires and get started.

I will use the existing control for now and see how she works out.

I have to fix the thrust bearings, I am pretty sure the slop if about 0.005" or more in the Y and maybe 0.002" in the X. I know I can adjust the backlash but tool wear and finish are important too.

So this means I won't really be able to do torodial milling or HSM, it would most likely tear my bits to shreads with all that table movement.

So Deano, you got any vids of you machine running? Also you said its a 7.5hp? or a 10hp?

I might be getting some work for the machine so I will see how she performs,

What dnc program did you use to send your programs with?

Thanks

Mike

Mike I have been following your thread. Honestly the Fadal control is the easiest I have been around to run dnc. Your machine only requires a null modem cable and an old yard sale pc.
    There are many softwares available to use. Some are even free but I have been successful with procom, predator and control link systems.

Mine is a 10hp, it has VMC15 10hp on the side of the motor so I suspect they use the same motor for the vmc10 and 15.

You definitely need to address the thrust bearing, ball screws condition and linear rail condition before you go much further IMO.

I will be running a DNC 3D job later in the week. will grab a vid then.

As mentioned it is dead easy to dnc. I have a $50 pc feeding it with a cable I made with the free NCLINK software from One CNC. Use the same program to send files to my fanuc control on the lathe.

Thanks slow learner and Deano.

The thrust bearings and linear rails would be my first priority also. Now that I have confirmed that the control still works.

One of the Thrust bearing caps came off and the balls spilt all in the coolant trap. And there is play in the table, so Tomorrow I will get my indicator on each axis, and identify where the play is coming from. I will also purchase the resolver for the x axis that is giving me trouble. Better yet, I will swap the resolver from the Y axis to the X axis and see if it stays with the axis. If it stays its a wiring/controller issue. If it resolves itself, then its just the resolver (hopefully!)

I will update everyone tommorow

Mike,
    I owned a Fadal for near 20 years until the fire in 2013. I have several contacts for parts should you need them.

If one is gone then the others might not be to far away. I would inspect and refurb the lot if needed.

I will be inspecting all the rails and trucks.

Hey Slowlearner, do you know who may have some of the linear rail trucks? Just incase I need to replace them...

The clocks are in the utilities menu. Go to 'enter next command' prompt. Type UT then option 6 is clocks.

Thanks Deano

Page 2 of 3 123