586,103 active members*
3,266 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > 1997 Fadal VMC 15 to Mach 3 retrofit
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: 1997 Fadal VMC 15 to Mach 3 retrofit

Mike try a search for kmac parts

http://youtube/IMBTBnpPlSU

http://youtube/X_jSCDiJ-dw

http://youtube/IMBTBnpPlSU

Here are some vids mate

Will edit the post so the vids work when I get to a proper pc and not my stupid iPhone

Hi Deano, cool stuff I ordered a new resolver, as I can't even run the spindle without having a the axes homed.... I should receive it next week, ill put it on, power it up and let its rip

Hey Everyone! Short update..

I got it all working! I had to replace one of the linear trucks under the table, it was a ***** to do....I had to remove the table from the saddle, and Once I say the balls missing, I removed the saddle also. All the saddle linear rails were in great condition. I will be putting the saddle back in on monday and putting it all back together also.

I had to replace the x axis resolver, and now ti works great, spindle works great, everything....

I was wondering if anyone could me a video of how to set tool offsets? Thanks

Mike

Tool off sets are easy you just jog it and touch it off, hit manual then type SL,1 or what ever tool it is enter then hit manual M6T2 enter then run,
    manual jog touch off SL,2 and so on repeat till you have your tools set

Since Mach 3 uses step and direction signals youll need a board like a sure step that uses the maximum band for step and direction. I believe that band is at 100Khz. Even at that band you cannot accurately beat the Fadal operating system a the speeds the original Fadal was running at. Run those motors at 3000rpm with a 4000 line encoder and try running 3 of them in unison your in for quite a surprise.

Tool offset is easy....move the tool down to the part. use the .001 setting and jog to the part using a piece of paper moving it back and forth. When the paper wont work anymore stop and press manual and choose the (set tool length) and that will be your tool offset length for that tool but depending on the paper you may be .002 to higher from the actual top. I must do 5 setups a day so I use the paper trick and then go to the offsets and choose option #3 mass modify and modify 1 through 21 or whatever tools you are using to -.002 or your paper thickness. Thats a butch way of doing it quick but if you dont know how to set a tool I think youll need alot more guidance to running a part without crashing. You should get someone in there that operates these machines to help you...maybe a craigslist ad for a $100 for a couple hours will save you tons of frusteration.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Page 3 of 3 123