586,071 active members*
4,344 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Spindle popping/clicking loud on tool change!

Spindle popping/clicking loud on tool change!

Hello all

I have been working on VF2's for sometime now and on one of the machines it pops.. fairly loudly on tool change... The arm comes in grabs the holder and when it exits the spindle it pops.
    The machine has made this sound as long as I can remember. It runs great though. This is the only problem with the machine. Im worried that eventually this will cause a bigger problem..
    I believe its staying clamped on the pullstud for to long??
    Any thoughts on what this might be will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Re: Spindle popping/clicking loud on tool change!

Quote Originally Posted by dbcooper14 View Post
    Hello all

I have been working on VF2's for sometime now and on one of the machines it pops.. fairly loudly on tool change... The arm comes in grabs the holder and when it exits the spindle it pops.
    The machine has made this sound as long as I can remember. It runs great though. This is the only problem with the machine. Im worried that eventually this will cause a bigger problem..
    I believe its staying clamped on the pullstud for to long??
    Any thoughts on what this might be will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    Initial response is that it sounds like your tool and spindle tapers are dirty causing them to stick together, very common issue.

As mentioned, search this site as this topic has been discussed many times and you will find a lot of good information regarding the subject.

Good luck!

If the popping sound is coming exactly as the tool is released, then it does sound like it is sticking in the spindle. However, I find it hard to believe you have not experienced a sticking tool before and know how to clean the bore to correct that. So, I will posit that you may have a problem with the precharge part of the air piston that releases the tool.

I wish like heck that I knew the proper terms to explain it, but air is sent into the bottom of the cylinder just before sending the air into the top side to release to tool. This causes the cylinder to more gently hit the tool release post. The air is released/pushed out below as the piston as it moves down so as to not have the piston itself slam into the release point. This is controlled by a valve inside the spindle or Z axis cover. It will need to be cleaned or replaced.

So if the tool is sticking and the noise comes exactly as the tool pops out of the spindle, the tools are just sticking. If the pop comes just a split second before the tool releases it is the valve that I mentioned.

If you can record it with video or just audio we can tell. The sticking tool sounds different than the piston slamming into the top of the release post which sounds more hollow.

Haastec will be better at detailing this. I can fix it, but never remember the terminology for all of the parts etc.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Try a search!
    ^^^^FTW!!!!^^^^

The all so common Haas spindle pop...I will say, though, that it happens on machines that are perfectly clean also.

Lightly grease the pull stud and I also lightly oil the taper. Sometimes it seems to be more of a problem if your coolant isn't shutting off and is spraying the toolholders when they exit.
    Tim