586,103 active members*
3,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Norgren Gear Change Solenoid - Gear Change Issues

Norgren Gear Change Solenoid - Gear Change Issues

Does anyone know where to get a replacement gear change solenoid for my 2001 VF2. Its a Norgren valve, I have checked their website but could not find the exact part number so Im wondering if they discontinued it or updated the part. Is there another brand out that would be an exact replacement? I dont think you can get just the solenoid from HAAS.

Thanks,
    Jim

Re: Norgren Gear Change Solenoid - Gear Change Issues

You are correct. You cannot just purchase the Norgren valve from Haas. You must purchase the entire assembly. I think it's around $200. In the long run, you'll be better off just buying the whole thing. I've had to do it a few times myself.

Bill K

Thanks for your reply Bill.....do you happen to remember the part #? If not I could just call them in the morning and figure it out. Im 99% sure that our gear change solenoid is bad.

Jim,
    Just call Haas, in your area. (where is your area?) They will know, and give you, the part # based off of the S/N of your machine.
    Part #'s are something I just don't think about. Being that I'm in the Chicagoland area, HFO Chicago is only 30 mins away. I just call parts and have the parts shipped UPS Ground. They arrive the next day.

One of our VF-3's has challenges shifting gears, especially in the morning. We have to disconnect the air line, and then reconnect. That's the fix.

I was gonna ask... On your Norgren valve. Is it the solenoid or the valve itself? The last one I changed out, the Solenoid worked fine, Something in the valve just didn't want to work. Haas uses the same brand valves in the tool changer. Those are the most awkward valves to replace. No Room.

Good Luck with your fix.

Bill K

Man I am at a loss here.....I just replaced the entire solenoid assembly this morning with a fresh one from Haas. I already replaced the gear shift plunger and sleeve. It shifts fine if we blow shop air into the copper lines but as soon as I hook everything back up to the manifold it wont shift. Its a brand new manifold from Haas as well. Ive pretty much exhausted all of my options at this point. I didnt drill out the orifices on this new manifold because I cant imagine why Haas wouldnt have updated that with the new part. Any ideas left?

Quote Originally Posted by JMFabrications View Post
    Man I am at a loss here.....I just replaced the entire solenoid assembly this morning with a fresh one from Haas. I already replaced the gear shift plunger and sleeve. It shifts fine if we blow shop air into the copper lines but as soon as I hook everything back up to the manifold it wont shift. Its a brand new manifold from Haas as well. Ive pretty much exhausted all of my options at this point. I didnt drill out the orifices on this new manifold because I cant imagine why Haas wouldnt have updated that with the new part. Any ideas left?
    Are the solenoids getting power?
    Will it shift if you manually activate the soleoid?

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Are the solenoids getting power?
    Will it shift if you manually activate the soleoid?
    The solenoids are definitely getting power, I pulled the copper lines off the manifold and did an MDI gear change and I can hear the solenoids as well as feel air coming out of the ports. The air coming out of the ports that would go into the copper lines is pretty light though....should it be a heavy burst of air? I definitely have full pressure air coming in through the main line.

Forgot to mention that the new manifold from Haas has NO orifices in it, after speaking with service they did away with the orifices/restrictors on all newer machines. Also, in order for me to get it to change gears with shop air it has to be a hard blast at full pressure.

Should the gear change shaft slide up and down pretty easily to the point where you can push it by hand or should it be difficult to move until air is hooked to it. I feel like that shaft might be getting hung up, when we installed the shaft and tested it outside of the machine in the trans is was difficult to move by hand and only a powerful blast of air would change gears but it did move. We have been down almost a week now trying to figure this out and unfortunately its our only machine

Should the gear change shaft slide up and down pretty easily to the point where you can push it by hand or should it be difficult to move until air is hooked to it. I feel like that shaft might be getting hung up, when we installed the shaft and tested it outside of the machine in the trans is was difficult to move by hand and only a powerful blast of air would change gears but it did move. We have been down almost a week now trying to figure this out and unfortunately its our only machine
    I don't have any experience with your exact situation, but I would bet that the shaft should move a little bit more free than what you are describing. There are a few members who have rebuilt older machines including a complete teardown of the gearbox. I would imagine the basics of the older and newer gearboxes will be similar regarding the shaft movement. Hopefully those guys will chime in before to long. I cannot remember their screen names at the moment either but maybe someone else might remember, then you can search their posts for some tips.

Good luck!

I don't have any experience with your exact situation, but I would bet that the shaft should move a little bit more free than what you are describing. There are a few members who have rebuilt older machines including a complete teardown of the gearbox. I would imagine the basics of the older and newer gearboxes will be similar regarding the shaft movement. Hopefully those guys will chime in before to long. I cannot remember their screen names at the moment either but maybe someone else might remember, then you can search their posts for some tips.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your help, I was at least able to manually move it into high gear and disable the gear box in the parameters so we are back up and running for now but with no low gear. I purchased an older VF3 which should be here tomorrow so at least now I will have a 2nd machine to keep us going. I will probably remove the gear box again in a few weeks when we get caught up and see whats going on. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the gearset shaft is slightly bent and we didnt notice it.

Do you know if the air coming out of the solenoids should be high pressure or just a low pressure blast?

Thanks for all your help, I was at least able to manually move it into high gear and disable the gear box in the parameters so we are back up and running for now but with no low gear. I purchased an older VF3 which should be here tomorrow so at least now I will have a 2nd machine to keep us going. I will probably remove the gear box again in a few weeks when we get caught up and see whats going on. The only other thing I can think of is that maybe the gearset shaft is slightly bent and we didnt notice it.

Do you know if the air coming out of the solenoids should be high pressure or just a low pressure blast?
    To be honest I do not know what kind of pressure you see after the solenoid. I would imagine that it should be close to the regulated 85psi machine pressure but the volume could vary at different points and will affect how quickly the lines reach maximum psi. Gathering from what I know of the GB and reading through all of the posts on your problem, it does sound like something is binding the shaft for gear change. It could be a bent shaft although I am not sure how likely that is, or could be an improper o-ring or out of place o-ring.

Keep us updated!

To be honest I do not know what kind of pressure you see after the solenoid. I would imagine that it should be close to the regulated 85psi machine pressure but the volume could vary at different points and will affect how quickly the lines reach maximum psi. Gathering from what I know of the GB and reading through all of the posts on your problem, it does sound like something is binding the shaft for gear change. It could be a bent shaft although I am not sure how likely that is, or could be an improper o-ring or out of place o-ring.

Keep us updated!

Thanks again for your help, I will let you know what I find out in a few weeks.

Thanks again for your help, I will let you know what I find out in a few weeks.
    Hi JMFabrications, So we are having the same problems on our 2002 VF2. Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I think our solenoid is fine. I'm thinking there is something wrong with our shifter plunger also. Everything you talk about are problems we're having. If you have any tips or info it would be greatly appropriated!!

Thanks!!

-Nate