586,655 active members*
2,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to keep trucks tight to rail?

I'm having trouble keeping the trucks tight on the rails. The worst culprit are the two trucks on the gantry.

I have a few modifications, but my gantry and z axis are straight out of your plans. I have a 4" steel rail attached to 8020 extrusion. I have two short trucks, one top and one below. They are mounted to another extrusion that is the main structure of the z axis using carriage bolts in the slots of the extrusion. As I said right out of the plans.

The problem is that there is quite a bit of torque on the z axis as it cuts. The trucks begin to slightly open. Soon the z axis begins to have a lot of play.

I have squeezed the trucks tight to the rail with clamps and tightened the carriage bolts, but the torquing of the z axis eventually forces them open again.

How do I keep the trucks tight to the rail?
    Attachment 229764Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395876599.683767.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	229766

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: How to keep trucks tight to rail

Tighten them back up then take lighter passes. Don't take heavier cuts than the machine can handle.

I prefer reliability (and not having to tighten down/realign the machine) versus a shorter cycle time.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I think the main problem is the length of your Z hanging below the carriage http://www.cnczone.com/forums/fineli...ight-rail.html too much leverage for the trucks to handle on the 4" rail.

Could go to the newer Z design and a 6" rail (which would make a whole lot more sense if your trying to get maximum Z clearance) or shorten the whole machine back closer to the original design specs.

That's really a poor design. Raise the bed up 6-8" and it'll be a lot stronger. If your gantry beam or rail was twice as tall, that would also help distribute the loads better.

With such a long lever, you're applying more force than the bearings can handle.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: How to keep trucks tight to rail?

That sounds like a good suggestion. It's amazing how a design morphs as you build. This is obviously a fusion between the Momus design and the fla design. Somehow the gantry ended up father above the bed than I would ever need.

I'll raise the bed up 6". I was thinking of adding a vacuum hold down like mr donek has on his website. This will be the perfect excuse for more fiddling!

I'll report back on results.

Thanks again!

Re: How to keep trucks tight to rail?

Quote Originally Posted by rlrhett View Post
    That sounds like a good suggestion. It's amazing how a design morphs as you build. This is obviously a fusion between the Momus design and the fla design. Somehow the gantry ended up father above the bed than I would ever need.

I'll raise the bed up 6". I was thinking of adding a vacuum hold down like mr donek has on his website. This will be the perfect excuse for more fiddling!

I'll report back on results.

Thanks again!

Solid suggestions to raise the bed up. I definitely think you'll see a benefit there. If it's still a problem, you may also want to try the z-axis interface plate instead of the front mount plate. The Y and Z carriages in that configuration are mounted to a plate instead of the extrusion, which makes them less susceptible to slipping out of position. Also, you may try switching to extended carriages as they offer 4 hold down points over the 2 on the regular carriages.

Nate
    Fine Line Automation
    Home - Fine Line Automation
    Fine Line Automation
    www.finelineautomation.com