586,051 active members*
3,896 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

mach3 and ess warp9

I have some issues and cant fig them out, I currently have a milltronics vmc machine that has been fitted with mach3 Version R3.043.066 and a warp 9 ess the machine had usb ss before and has made lots of parts but was replaced due to inherent usb issues... the stability of the ess is a fair bit better, the machine has all axis set at 256khz and the ess is set at 2mhz, mach 3 is set at max 100khz. The machine runs like a charm very smooth, I have the odd hiccup with pins remaining high or low the ess is powered from the power supply from the dell 390 desktop used for mach 3. The bob setup for port 1 is fead from 24 volt sourced from a power supply but the board also has un used taps for 12volt and 5 volt source and came from ebay and I have bought 4 of them but china doesn't give very good manuals I think if I get rid of of the 24 volt suppy and feed the bob from the 12 volts from the dell and bond all zero volt commons to ground I hope this will solve issues... any comments will be thanked

Re: mach3 and ess warp9

[email protected]

The whole idea of the Smooth Stepper is so you don't need to have your computer maxed out, setting at 45Khz to 60Khz setting in Mach 3 is most likely more than enough, if your computer power supply has enough output, then that should also be ok for the Breakout board, without the other power supply,

Are the Breakout Boards opto isolated, & have you used shielded wire for your connecting wires, it sounds like you have a noise problem
    Mactec54

The whole idea of the Smooth Stepper is so you don't need to have your computer maxed out, setting at 45Khz to 60Khz setting in Mach 3 is most likely more than enough,
    Unless I'm mistaken, this kernel frequency should have no effect when using the ESS.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Unless I'm mistaken, this kernel frequency should have no effect when using the ESS.
    That is correct, but it has an effect on the computer trying to run it at a unnecessary 100Khz
    Mactec54

The response timing for the entire system is well, and resolution is complete: never really verified specs but I like what is see for the most part... Today I got rid of the 24 volt source to the bob and feed it with12volts from dell, to early to tell etc...also bonding was intact already to all major players in the system, I do hear what your saying about the kernel from mach and have not had any really big diffs from other settings, seems as thought most settings are dependent on drives and ess setup. Noise does bug me a bit, its in an old building with crap power but I have three filters inline of which one is ups... I just seem to only have a few issues with loss of spindle signal and the lack of true feedback to mach3. The ess is a step up from the last but a small one I think. One thing I have learned messing around is usually mach gets messed up from you messing up etc...it is a good program for flexibility and that's what can get you into trouble. I'm sure that I have not done anything to mess it up because its been makin parts for some time now other then new ess. Things that I cant figure out is why the 6 axis screen that i'm using, the spindle speed minus arrow starts the gcode files if loaded but does nothing to the speed down, the up and reset speed works just fine. Also if (output two) for spindle is active the spindle 0-10volt is gone and will not work until program is stopped and manually started again etc...locks up jams unknown I did read some where about dell timing begin in a league of there own in terms of clocking kernels etc... all problems point to ess and mach and settings, by this I mean windows and mach don't like to hand control over to ess more so windows then mach but never the less still an issue for me. does any body on here have suggestions for none windows based stand alone 6 axis controller flexably like mach etc... but true closed loop. I still have the old milltronics controller but not to sure how stabile it is as it got hooked up to 600volt sourse, ouch!!! might have to try and dig it out of the shed lol

Sorry for the long rant, as you can I don't post much> just read the end part lol.