586,080 active members*
3,719 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Mach 3 pendant options?

Looking to add a useable pendant onto my x3, I have a tormach jog wheel which is ok to jog the machine around but really isn't worth much more than that. I see a ton of options on eBay most USB, or wireless. Anyone have rave reviews for a certain one?Attachment 229940 Attachment 229942

Re: Mach 3 pendant options?

I own several VistaCNC pendants, and I am completely satisfied with all of them. Good quality, reasonable prices, and first-rate support.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks for the input ray, it looks pretty nice ( nicer than what I have at work sadly). Are they pretty easy to setup?

Stay away from the Xhc unless you like running in metric.
    They will switch to imperial units but the one I have will only go to one or two numbers to the right of the decimal point which isn't enough for accuracy.
    Also the wireless ones are said to have lag.
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Thanks for the tip hoss! I watched the vista YouTube video and was pretty impressed at how they demonstrated it and how well documented it was.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Thanks for the input ray, it looks pretty nice ( nicer than what I have at work sadly). Are they pretty easy to setup?
    Setup is trivial - just install a Mach3 plug-in.

I would also avoid wireless - the *can* work well, but can also be affected by RFI from the machine. Nothing worse than having your pendant stop working right when you need it most....

I would also think real hard about the functionality that is most important to you, especially when it comes to dedicated buttons for certain functions. Consider what happens if you fumble or drop the pendant, and one of those buttons gets pressed accidentally - bad things could happen. One of the best investments I mad was also paying the extra few $ for the bracket that allows me to hang the pendant on the machine enclosure when not in use. It's always either in my hand, or on it's hook, never anywhere else. I dropped my first one far too many times before getting that hook.

Regards,
    Ray L.

The one I have at work you have to depress two buttons on the sides or it won't work at all, takes the accidental button push out of the equation. Doesn't have a screen though or all these other features as the vista does. You buy the bracket through them or fab one? I'd rather just bite the bullet and buy one haha.

Anyone try out that iPad app?

diy,

You are referring to Mach Pendant IIRC. I have run it on my iphone 5. It worked in the limited way I tested it. Mostly just verified that it did work, it did. But as Ray said the idea of putting my faith in a bluetooth or wifi connection seems risky at best. I have had crashes with a hard wired estop within reach. Though the novelty is cool should I really be paying attention to something else while machining? Maybe with a big commercial machine with chip conveyors, tool changers and flood, maybe I could walk away.

Oh ya I won't be able to walk away that's for sure. Just exploring options as a mini iPad at 299 is cheaper than 321.70 for my keyboard labels, pendant boot, hangar, and p4-s pendant.

I would have considered it more if they would have had better jogging options. Hard to compete with the real rotary dial.

The keyboard shortcut labels seem pretty awesome, I've always wondered what they were haha.

Here is what I went with. A little spendy but I think it will be well worth it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396034945.639720.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	229970

A Wired (USB) Xbox controller works great for my application.

GG67

Ya I've seen many xbox controllers, pretty slick! My fave looking one is the flight simulator joystick haha!

I actually enjoy the shuttle pro but I don't like its durability.
    A lazy man does it twice.

That's kinda like the one I have now except with more buttons. Attachment 229978

It will certainly do the job.

Anyone who's never tried a real pendant, with a real MPG, has no idea how inferior things like the Shuttle Pro are.... The Shuttles are much better than using the keyboard and mouse, but a real pendant with a high-resolution MPG is in a whole different class.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Agreed, money well spent.

Thanks again ray for the recommendation.

Attachment 230766Attachment 230768

Highly impressed with the quality, fit, and hopefully function when I give her a whirl. The rubber boot is really nice. Stickers for the keypad are also high quality. The feel of the buttons and mpg wheel are also really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    Attachment 230768

Highly impressed with the quality, fit, and hopefully function when I give her a whirl. The rubber boot is really nice. Stickers for the keypad are also high quality. The feel of the buttons and mpg wheel are also really nice.
    Which one is that? I've lost track in the thread.
    -Bill

Page 1 of 3 123