586,032 active members*
2,824 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Purchased my first CNC Router, Many Questions!

Purchased my first CNC Router, Many Questions!

Hello,
    This is my first post and I've purchased a small CNC router. I am a machinist and I am used to working with the older G&M code milling machines. Can anyone tell me anything about this machine? It looks to be older, but pretty well built. I was removed from a trade school. The travel is 18x20x4. I've attached a picture of the machine. It is in transit to me and I don't have a better picture at the moment.

I am not familur with the software used today but assume it is easier than back in the old days and somthing that I can learn. What is the simplest program I could use with this machine? I will not be producing very complicated parts with it, mostly wood and plastics.
    Any advise would be much appreciated!
    Thanks
    Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 86_1.jpg  

Controller pics

Here is a close up of the controller.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6a_1.jpg  

Hi Ed that looks like a nice little machine if you ask me. I am a beginner even with the machining part and I purchased Mach 3 from artsoft it has a program called lazy cam in it and even I can change drawings to G-code with very little trouble. they have a trial version to try out and the license is only $159.00US
    http://www.machsupport.com/artsoft/index/index.htm hope that helps

Rob

Lazy Cam

Thanks Rob! Sounds exactly what I am looking for. I will check it out.

Hey, nice machine! I am a Tech Ed teacher and our school ownes that same router. It is a very rigid router. I can give you a few pointers:

We had our electronics and software replaced by a place called forst scientific, you can google them and find their site. You could also do it yourself with the mach 3 software and the xylotex controller

www.xylotex.com and www.artofcnc.ca

or you could use a gecko drive with mach 3. Mach software used the pc parralel port and your machine probobly uses a serial interface.

Good luck with the machine!

mw