586,047 active members*
3,827 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Series II vs Series III 1100 differences

Series II vs Series III 1100 differences

Hey everyone, Trying to understand the differences between the 1100 series II vs Series III.

I see the upgrade for the motion kit for series III, which looks like motors, motor driver and control board.

I am wondering if there are any mechanical differences as well such as ball screws/nuts or anything else.

Re: Series II vs Series III 1100 differences

Yes, minor mechanical differences (eg, x axis motor is now covered). As best I can tell, though, the critical mechanical components are identical.

Didn't I read that the series 3 Tormach added the tool tray at the left side of the table like the 770? Pretty sure the series 2 is without the tray.

Guys,

Thanks, considering buying a used Series II, just want to make sure I fully understand the differences to be able to determine if it's worth just buying a new Series III.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    Didn't I read that the series 3 Tormach added the tool tray at the left side of the table like the 770? Pretty sure the series 2 is without the tray.
    "tool tray" = x axis stepper cover. Not that it's a bad idea (great one, in fact)- but I bet the major reason for the tool tray is that the stepper is now better protected from coolant, at the cost of a bit of cast iron.

Re used II vs III. I have a II, motion upgrade to III. I'd call this a straight economic/value decision. If you can get a well cared for, low hours II for say a couple grand less than the cost of the III, do that and add the upgrade ($700 or so). You're money ahead, and have a III for all practical purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post
    "tool tray" = x axis stepper cover. Not that it's a bad idea (great one, in fact)- but I bet the major reason for the tool tray is that the stepper is now better protected from coolant, at the cost of a bit of cast iron.

Re used II vs III. I have a II, motion upgrade to III. I'd call this a straight economic/value decision. If you can get a well cared for, low hours II for say a couple grand less than the cost of the III, do that and add the upgrade ($700 or so). You're money ahead, and have a III for all practical purposes.

The one I am looking at has about 4500 hours on it based on the owners estimates of use, I am not sure how that is considered for low or high use. I suspect its on the higher side, but I am not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GLCarlson View Post

Sure is, I missed that.

In my case I am looking at a 2000 hr estimated series II with most things except PDB and ATC for $6900 with a bunch of tooling. To me it's a no brainer. He wanted $10k and that made me think much harder. I would like the tool tray stepper cover but could probably whip up something with a nice 1100 and with the motion upgrade for $635, I'm way ahead...as long as the machine runs. No reason to think it won't as I have heard most all good about used PCNCs.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    Sure is, I missed that.

In my case I am looking at a 2000 hr estimated series II with most things except PDB and ATC for $6900 with a bunch of tooling. To me it's a no brainer. He wanted $10k and that made me think much harder. I would like the tool tray stepper cover but could probably whip up something with a nice 1100 and with the motion upgrade for $635, I'm way ahead...as long as the machine runs. No reason to think it won't as I have heard most all good about used PCNCs.
    That sounds like a very good price. Nice find.