586,096 active members*
3,012 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > HAAS part needed, where to find

HAAS part needed, where to find

One of the HAAS machines here had a bearing problem in the 12k motor
    2007 VF2SS
    Instead of giving HAAS nearly $6,000 to put a rebuilt motor in because the cheap bearings were going bad.
    We opted to replace the bearings for less than $100.
    There is a part that the encoder (timing pulley) sits down on, on the motor shaft.
    This small part had a wobble, bore not perpendicular to rest of the part/ bent upon initial installation???? The gear puller did not help it any either.
    HAAS will not sell the part, HAAS will not tell us where to buy the part. HAAS will not provide the spec for this part.
    They only want to charge thousands, and are not at all interested in helping their customer with a logical & economical repair.
    I am pretty sure this part contributed to the early bearing failure.
    I would like to replace it. Sure I can keep replacing bearings as they go every 5 or 6 years, could do that a whole lot of times for what HAAS wants.

I believe the motor is a Yaskawa made to HAAS spec, & Yaskawa can't/won't specify or sell me the part.

Where to turn??????????

Re: HAAS part needed, where to find

Can you make it?

Other then that, I just had my spindle/gearbox replaced in a 98' vf2 vector drive. HFO failed to inform us that we have to pay to ship the core back to California. Needless to say, my boss and I are getting fed up with Haas and HFO price gouging. I think our next machines will not incorporate the red and gray color scheme.

bobscomputer

Do you have a photo of the part, the Bearings would of been good quality if the motor is Yaskawa made, & the part most likely was damaged when you took it apart

Spindle motor bearings can fail with low hours, it just depends on how much damage you get from the VFD drive as to how long they last, Ground rings put on the spindle motor rotor will give the spindle motor a normal bearing life
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by djr76 View Post
    Can you make it?

Other then that, I just had my spindle/gearbox replaced in a 98' vf2 vector drive. HFO failed to inform us that we have to pay to ship the core back to California. Needless to say, my boss and I are getting fed up with Haas and HFO price gouging. I think our next machines will not incorporate the red and gray color scheme.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Yep, you get much lower prices with those other machines like Mazak, Makino, Okuma and the like!!!

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Quote Originally Posted by bobscomputer View Post
    One of the HAAS machines here had a bearing problem in the 12k motor
    2007 VF2SS
    Instead of giving HAAS nearly $6,000 to put a rebuilt motor in because the cheap bearings were going bad.
    We opted to replace the bearings for less than $100.
    There is a part that the encoder (timing pulley) sits down on, on the motor shaft.
    This small part had a wobble, bore not perpendicular to rest of the part/ bent upon initial installation???? The gear puller did not help it any either.
    HAAS will not sell the part, HAAS will not tell us where to buy the part. HAAS will not provide the spec for this part.
    They only want to charge thousands, and are not at all interested in helping their customer with a logical & economical repair.
    I am pretty sure this part contributed to the early bearing failure.
    I would like to replace it. Sure I can keep replacing bearings as they go every 5 or 6 years, could do that a whole lot of times for what HAAS wants.

I believe the motor is a Yaskawa made to HAAS spec, & Yaskawa can't/won't specify or sell me the part.

Where to turn??????????
    I would have a machine shop repair the old part, there is a "request for quote" forum on this site.
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Part was wobbling before it was disassembled.
    The upper bearing in this alleged 40 HP / 12,000 rpm motor was a NACHI 6205 NKE
    bottom bearing was a 6207

We were able to straighten the flange of the part out and get it balanced.
    Got it back together, well enough to run the spindle anyway. So far very quiet & smooth.

While Yaskawa made the motor they did it to HAAS specs not their own.

how did You measure a run-out of the shaft?
    at the coolant union?
    at te shaft of the motor?
    let me know what is it please???
    THANKS alot!!!

So the spindle bearings went? I hope you are familar with preloading the bearings. This isn't just a swap them out kind of operation. We did the bearings on our Okuma Lathe, and it was quite the ordeal to get the bearings loaded properly, and should be done in a controlled environment.

I know builders like Mastuura will only rebuild spindles over 10K RPM in their spindle room at their facility in Japan. They do this in a clean room environment.
    "It's only funny until some one get's hurt, and then it's just hilarious!!" Mike Patton - Faith No More Ricochet

I believe he said motor bearings, not spindle bearings.