586,113 active members*
3,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Setting the origin

Hi, I currently had the responsibility of running a HAAS VF-0E fall into my lap, and I am using it for very basic machining. I have plenty of experience running CNC machines for laser welding and cutting, but I am new to the mill world.

I am trying to figure out how to set the origin as in, I can create a program, send it to the machine no problem, but how do I tell the machine where the origin will be to start the cutting process. Another words, how do I set my X,Y,Z axis? I had a small crash course in it, I created a profile, sent it to the machine, we ran it, it worked fine. The person training me found out I was not a "true machinist" and just a "laser welder/cutter/programmer" I do not understand the hate, but it is what it is, and that person no longer works here. I feel I am totally able to handle the job, minus the originating the machine, the minor detail that was left out of my training. Again, I have 8 years experience running/programming CNC laser machines, just have never touched a HAAS or any sort of mill before.

I should also mention, I do not have a manual... I am been playing with the machine a little and I notice there are operator origins and work origins.

Does anyone have any pointers for figuring this out? Does my question even make sense?

I appreciate any advice.

Re: Setting the origin

Quote Originally Posted by CNCon View Post
    Hi, I currently had the responsibility of running a HAAS VF-0E fall into my lap, and I am using it for very basic machining. I have plenty of experience running CNC machines for laser welding and cutting, but I am new to the mill world.

I am trying to figure out how to set the origin as in, I can create a program, send it to the machine no problem, but how do I tell the machine where the origin will be to start the cutting process. Another words, how do I set my X,Y,Z axis? I had a small crash course in it, I created a profile, sent it to the machine, we ran it, it worked fine. The person training me found out I was not a "true machinist" and just a "laser welder/cutter/programmer" I do not understand the hate, but it is what it is, and that person no longer works here. I feel I am totally able to handle the job, minus the originating the machine, the minor detail that was left out of my training. Again, I have 8 years experience running/programming CNC laser machines, just have never touched a HAAS or any sort of mill before.

I should also mention, I do not have a manual... I am been playing with the machine a little and I notice there are operator origins and work origins.

Does anyone have any pointers for figuring this out? Does my question even make sense?

I appreciate any advice.
    Move the desired axis to what you are going to reference as your zero point, then from the offset screen showing the work offsets, press the part zero set button.

Go to the Haas website and download the machine manual. Haas Automation® Resource Center | Your Source For Routine Maintenance, "How To", Manuals & Documentation, Repairs & Service and Drawings & Diagrams
    Choose whatever year is the closest to what year your machine is to download the manual. Read through it to better understand your machine.

You can also download the latest manual. Although it may cover features that your machine does not have, some of the basic functions on how to operate and setup the machine have better descriptions. IMO

Explore the Haas website also. There are a lot of good resources which may help you out.

Also, go to this site: http://www.egr.unlv.edu/~kevinn/CNCw...ammingBook.pdf

This is a training workbook commonly used by a lot of dealers. This can help you out also.

Hope all this helps.

Good luck!