586,110 active members*
3,232 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: 4x5 CNC Build

A few more progress pics. It's really starting to take shape now. I have my lead screw out having the ends turned down to fit the bearings so when I get that back I can finish up the Z axis. Motors are here so I can get to work on getting them mounted up here soon as well. Still trying to decide on the gearing for the Z axis. Right now since I'm already using a 5 start screw I'm thinking of going with 2:1 reduction. I can always change it later easily enough if I have to. Attachment 233762Attachment 233764Attachment 233766Attachment 233768

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any progress updates?
    If it weren't for the last minute nothing would ever get done.
    Jim

Well yes but I am the worst at updating this thread! Sorry for that. I hope to have a better update video on youtube in the next day or so. My internet connection is so slow I have a hard time posting.
    I will get some pics up here regardless. In the meantime heres a short video on the machine.

Thanks for looking!!

http://youtu.be/Srwzrn_Mnrg

What size Z motor are you using, and what gear ratio did you decide to go with?

I've got the same pitch screws on my two Z axis (1/2-8 4 start) and I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I think I designed it for 1:1, but I have room for a little reduction. I guess it depends on what motors and drives you're using.

I might just leave mine at 1:1, and use 570oz motors with Gecko G201's or Leadshine digital drives. Not sure if the motors will fit, but I do already have one. I'm very space limited with mine.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I went with 2:1 with a 5 start screw. My motor is a 425oz with Leadshine. Not sure how its going to work out for sure but I already had the motor and driver so i thought I would use it first. Good part is if need be I can simply swap out a pulley and change the ration easy enough.

Nice work and I'll be watching this very close as this is similar to what I'm thinking about building for my second machine. I'm a lot better at woodworking than metal so I'm really curious in your base construction since you said there would be no welding. My base right now is a real weak point as it is just not strong enough... I've learned a lot with the first one and don't want to repeat too many mistakes. I'm also wanting to incorporate in a vacuum table so wondering if you are going to have one? Still deciding if I steal parts from my old one at some point (nema 23 motors from cncrouter parts with 3:1 reductions for example) or do I build the big one from scratch using nema 34s and cut the other one down to be a dedicated dovetail and rotary cnc or just sell it when I'm done. Too many options at this point

Hey Lambo, A vacuum table would be great and Ive looked into them however dont have any plans for one right now. Might be something I add later on though. My base is going to be a huge cabinet sort of thing if you will. It will be 4x4 and 2x4 framed and covered in MDF so it will be quite heavy and allow me to put the electronics and storage below the machine. Since the table itself is more or less self supporting the base is doing nothing more than getting the whole thing off the ground. I know this is probably clear as mud right now but hopefully I will have it done soon and it will make more sense then.
    I already have more video update done Im just trying to get them uploaded to Youtube and thats been a real pain with my internet connection. Keep checking back though!!

Comments and suggestions always wecome!!

I was thinking more along the lines of LVLs and mdf to keep things from moving.... I would think I could get almost as much mass as a steel frame with enough sheets of mdf. I'll have 2 sides against a wall so those can be torsion boxes on their sides with additional ribs in the center for support. Right now I've got a slot in the table for dovetails but if I do a new machine I'll extend the router over the edge of the table so they are cut in front if that makes sense.

I've got a 4x3 vacuum table I can sit on top of my machine and just use a shop vac for now. Works great as long as I'm just doing dados and such for cabinets but when I start doing through cuts I loose the vacuum pretty quick. Time for more suck but I don't have 3phase power so I've been looking at the central vac motors and running them in parallel. They seem to have some pretty impressive numbers for what they are. Now to head down to the shop and get set up to cut some dovetails. I've had the bathroom vanity cabinets done for a while and it's time for drawers....

As promised a new progress video on the Brutus 1.0. This one focuses on the Z axis. Comments and suggestions always welcome!!

Brutus 1.0 CNC Router The Z Axis - YouTube

Nice work!

Got a couple inquires about the small bracket I made to hold my Dumpster ABN. So here are some shots of that part, Again, milled on the Momus 2.1 CNC and just a nice solution I thought.

Page 2 of 2 12