586,106 active members*
3,090 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > Grouping features

Grouping features

Hi

How do I group features and or holes with the same diameters and same depths to quickly create a drill program?

Thank You

hi camtd,
    Yes you can group features but everytime i've done this i've wished i hadn't, because
    if you need to alter something youv'e got to go through the rigmarole of exploding everything back into single entities. Far better to create what you want and then
    window whole lot
    Regards Steve

CamTD: If it's for drilled holes, try this....

Hole Cycle - Filtering Tab - You can tell it to match the size of the drill or you can set a range. This is in 10.5 but 10.0 should be the same. I dont know about earlier versions.

I've not had much luck with Groups either. It does seem that making a group removes all access to the original geometry. Made a group out of circles and later tried to put points at the center of the circles. Cant do it without deleting the group.

I would think that making a Group "tags" the geometry and does not change it properties. I would also like to see Groups picked from a list. It seems difficult to "grab" a Group and using a Window selects other items you may not want.

Selection methods for 2D geometry could stand to be improved.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

You have the choice in your Automatic Feature Find dialog to "Group SImiliar Holes" this should make all the holes (that are the same depth/diameter,etc.,) as 1 feature