I have some questions I hope you guys can answer. I am brand new to machining, and have a "hobby" mill. I've been watching videos, and reading whatever I can find.

I am planning on making a low profile 2 axis dovetail slide that is moved via threaded rods, just like a basic cnc machine or mill for that matter. It is really basic, low stress. It will be locked most of the time except for when making adjustments. I was thinking about making it out of aluminum at first, but then thought why not plastic. I have some really basic designs just in sketchup for now until I am 100% on the design. I have no idea on plastic choice. The lighter the better, and it has to be able to be tapped.

Attachment 231008

Attachment 231010

Attachment 231012

Attachment 231014

I have so many questions. Where to start... Is that above even possible out of a plastic? I am leaning toward yes. The dovetails, if in plastic, can I just use a cheap dovetail cutter from Enco for something like this? If so, what size would be recommended? Workholding... What would you guys suggest?

I appreciate your help. Just throw whatever you have at me. ALSO, feel free to make design suggestions. This is just a really rough first go. THANKS!