586,922 active members*
2,977 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Down and out with tool changer fault code #113

Down and out with tool changer fault code #113

I have a vintage 1994 HAAS VF-3 that has been chugging right along until now.
    The tool changer IN limit switch must not be triggering the control to stop the forward changer motion on cue for some reason , and it runs into the spindle causing code #113 to pop up.
    I pulled the limit switch and tested for continuity across the connections, and it SEEMS to be OK; if I'm checking it right.
    Unfortunately, one fault code page is missing from my manual which would have #113 on it !!
    Can this still be a switch prob, or is it a board prob ???

Thanks for your help !!

Re: Down and out with tool changer fault code #113

Unless it is the slide door that is not opening, the shuttle should never hit the spindle at all. It goes to its physical limit just to get into tool change position. It is just an arm in a lot and always goes to the extreme one side to the other. The switches are just there to let the control know when it gets there and is in position.

That code is to let you know the shuttle did not get all the way in. Are you sure that you are just not noticing that the shuttle cover that opens to expose the tools when the shuttle comes in is just not opening. That is just a mechanical thing where the cover just rides a slot on top of the shuttle. Maybe it has slipped out of position and I have seen it happen. You might not notice what the real issue is if you don't pay attention.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Mike,
    The shuttle cover is opening fine; but the inner section of the actual tool holding clip is contacting the edge of the spindle housing.
    You have me thinking that perhaps the spindle is dropping further than it should for a tool change ?

Yup, sound like the spindle is too low, should never hit the shuttle. Try a rehoming and see if it is the same. Something changed. Got pictures?

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

I did an experiment: I removed the spring loaded clip assembly from the #1 tool position, then activated the ATC FWD command.
    Changer came in and acted like it was supposed to.
    Now I can see that the spindle is approximately 1/16-1/8" lower than it should be, and fouls the spring loaded clip.
    Not sure how this happened, as I have not crashed the machine; but was having trouble with the TOP Z axis limit switch .
    At this point the machine will home out and function; but I cannot change tools.
    If I need to adjust the spindle height during tool change, how do I do that ???

OK; I think I got it.
    Rummaging through the HAAS handbook, I found the listing of parameters and there was a setting number for the spindle height. I used the formula to arrive at a higher setting, and VIOLA ! it works now.
    BUT what made it change ??? I'm thinking I'm due for a spindle encoder belt ?????

pa2262,

Glad to see you took the initiative to look it up and make the change so quickly.

Yup, sounds like the limit switch or something has changed position and hits the limit switch too soon. You might want to check for chips up there. If it changes back there will be another crash!

Also, check that the carousel is not bent. Go to tool 10 or 11 and see if the height is still good. Sometimes they will get bent, especially with older machine where the aluminum is getting corroded and thin.

Mike

pa2262

You most likely changed the Home/limit switch height when you were having trouble with it
    Mactec54

Mike,
    They always say necessity is the mother of invention, and desperation is the father !!!
    I figured if I modified the setting a fraction at a time, it wouldn't get things too far out of whack.
    It's been fine ever since; but it still bugs me that it changed height about 1/8".
    BTW, I have experience with bent carousels; my Tree/ZPS did a number on me one time that bent the center shaft.
    A $150 repair part

Quote Originally Posted by pa2262 View Post
    Mike,
    They always say necessity is the mother of invention, and desperation is the father !!!
    I figured if I modified the setting a fraction at a time, it wouldn't get things too far out of whack.
    It's been fine ever since; but it still bugs me that it changed height about 1/8".
    BTW, I have experience with bent carousels; my Tree/ZPS did a number on me one time that bent the center shaft.
    A $150 repair part
    Chips on the limit switch, like Mike said, or a sticking switch will both affect the tool change height.

If it changes on you again, and you cannot determine if it was due to sticking or chips, I would replace the switch for good measure.

Good luck!

Well there's no chips on the switch.
    I suspect it is just on it's way out . Every once in awhile the Z wouldn't home out on start up. So I'd crawl up there and spray it with carb cleaner, push the plunger in and out a couple of times, and away we'd go.
    I found a couple of "same number" switches on weaselbay , but the wires are WAY shorter; so I'd need to splice them in.
    I am NOT looking forward to THAT day; but I know it's coming !
    Can't afford the down time right now; so I keep my finger's crossed it'll keep trucking 'till I can take a Saturday and do the surgery.

Sorry. But just make shure that a z-axis ballscrew have all of the locknuts set to the proper preload and in still stays with it.
    Thanks

pa2262,

Does you machine have a nitrogen counter balance system? If so, check the pressure in the tank.
    I just had one that was low enough for the head to drift down a little bit when powered off or when in E-Stop causing the carousel cover to get bent. When readjusting things I also had to reset tool change height as well by about .140".

Just a thought is all.