586,058 active members*
4,270 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Music in the shop

Had a simi-heated debate with my father-in-law over the weekend about if you should listen to music while you work. He was 110% against having any music playing anywhere near the shop or anyone doing any work. I can understand this if it takes away from the quality of the workmanship or if it could be a safety hazard. But that said I listen to music while I'm working. Granted I work alone so I'm not bugging anyone but me and I've noticed when I'm really concentrating on something I don't even hear it. I also find if I don’t have some background noise I don’t work as well.

So here's my question, do you listen to music in the shop/while you work and if so what type? Me, I'm a blues man.
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Disco makes you work faster. Rap leads to workplace shootings. C & W leads to divorce. Rock & Roll over time could result in your long hair getting caught in a spindle. Some studies have shown that Heavy Metal music causes premature brain cell death. You should be safe restricting your music to old Boy George hits, just don't bend over.

I have music going all the time only way i can work alone

[QUOTE=dighsx]Had a simi-heated debate with my father-in-law...../QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthdumpkits
    Heavy Metal music causes premature brain cell death
    Are you sure you haven't listened to Heavy Metal. Arguing with a father-in-law suggests you may have. Never, never, never argue with a father-in-law.

Lightbulb

Heavy Metal is what I cut too. :devious: Parts get cut a lot more aggressively, but as long as I get enough good parts on time my customers do not complain. :banana: Besides a little Rob Zombie keeps most people from bothering me (chair)

And listen to Geof, Do Not Argue with the father-in-law. :nono:

BTW: My Hair is short but still full :cheers:

tobyaxis(making sparks and parts)

I agree, Geof is giving good advice, and may I add, never, never, never argue with a father in-law, especially when he signs your check"

I am from the old school, what the boss says goes, whether I agree with it or not, once a point is made, and then rejected that ought to be the last of it.

Luckily for me my father in-law retired a few years back. He was a school teacher so other then I sleep with his daughter he holds no sway over me. And I've been with his daughter for 15 years so even there I think he's losing ground. Although come to think of it on the way home she did tell me she can't figure out how I can listen to music and work.... Glad I got a couch in the shop........
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

there's no prob with music in a machineshop it just depends on few things

lil things like :whats the job at hand and wich tools will you be handling
    volume is very important too keep it low enough that your sure you'll be
    able to hear anything flying,braking,squealing rumbling and so on you might find that when the volume is low enough for this you won't be able to hear the music anyway
    third and most important rule of all :when listening too nass al ghiwane all above rules can be ignored

some music might even boost your lay-out and/or measuring skills

cheers m8

Quote Originally Posted by dighsx
    ....can't figure out how I can listen to music and work....
    You don't listen to it; the music is just something there in the background. I find it blocks out distractions that could interfere with concentration provided it is not too loud.

I also don't worry about it masking the bad noises from the machine; by the time you have responded to those the damage is done and the machine has shut itself down with red lights flashing.

i've worked at this manufacturing plant for ten years and it's soooo dull and boring that most folk would end up slitting their wrists if it were not for some harmonious, rhythmatic beats that come with music. helps the long 9 hour days go by. helps maintain sanity. the only problem here is when two persons whom work ten feet apart play different stations and bicker amongst theirselves.

Quote Originally Posted by dighsx
    Had a simi-heated debate with my father-in-law over the weekend about if you should listen to music while you work. He was 110% against having any music playing anywhere near the shop or anyone doing any work. I can understand this if it takes away from the quality of the workmanship or if it could be a safety hazard. But that said I listen to music while I'm working. Granted I work alone so I'm not bugging anyone but me and I've noticed when I'm really concentrating on something I don't even hear it. I also find if I don’t have some background noise I don’t work as well.

So here's my question, do you listen to music in the shop/while you work and if so what type? Me, I'm a blues man.

STUFF THE FATHER-IN-LAW! (flame2) I CAN'T FUNCTION WITHOUT A RADIO. I BELIEVE A HAPPY WORKER IS A GOOD WORKER! :banana: I PERSONALLY LISTEN TO THE GOOD OL' GUNS AND ROSES, LED ZEPPELIN, DEEP PURPLE, AND NOT TO MENTION ACCA\/\DACCA!!!!!! I COULD KEEP GOING BUT I DON'T THINK THE POSTS ARE ALLOWED TO BE THAT LONG. HAPPY WORKING TO THE TUNES. :rainfro:
    On the other hand, You have different fingers.

i listen oldies and those guys from england in the shop are soooo happy!!!

Talking Rob Zombie and cutting LOUD!!!!!!!

Just got Rob Zombie Educated Horses, It ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Get an MP3 player and use one head phone.
    :cheers:

Any one else want more of these Avatars, PM me with email address, or right click and save as """"""""""................
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails avatar_1212.gif   avatar_1218.gif   avatar_1288.gif   unattendedkids9jk.jpg  

Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com