586,065 active members*
4,312 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

EZ Track Mechanical Installation

Hey Guys;
    I recently purchased the mechanical parts of an EZ trak X,Y and Z axis for my bridgie 2J which is in the process of being cleaned up and installed in my home shop. In the purchase, I received the motor mounts and the complete Z axis assembly. Problem is, the Z axis assembly appears that will not sit flush to the face of the head due to the fine feed assembly of the 2J (unless I'm missing something). Also, how does the ball screw attach to the quill?
    Can anyone help by posting a pix of their z axis mounted or even better yet, does anyone have installation instructions for an EZ trak on a 2 j machine???
    Any and all help will be appreciated.
    Bill
    :drowning:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

My Extrak has a ball screw on the Z axis that runs parallel to the main spindle axis. There is a cantilever arm bolted to the snout of the spindle that the ball screw connects to which in turn moves it up and down. Real Rube Goldberg deal and not the most accurate nor rigid Z drive.

The better alternative is to use the ball screw drive that bolts to the front of the machine in place of the limit stop thingie that is already there. It bolts in place via the 4 bolts that prevent the head from rotating CW or CCW from vertical.

An outfit in Iowa (???) makes it but for the life of me I can't recall the name of the source.

Look up ELROD.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)