586,036 active members*
3,737 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Cool Home Made Vise Stop - For 6" Kurt Vise

It seems like everytime I use my mill, I run into the need for a more universal and solid stop to keep the parts I'm working on in the right spot!

I looked at the stuff that Enco sells, and it just didn't do anything for me! So I grabbed a piece of 1" dia. Cold Roll steel, and milled a 6 1/4" long flat on one end. Then i drilled and C-Bored two holes to match the jaw screws on the back of the Kurt Vise!

Then I used a few more pieces of steel to make the transition clamps, made a quick CAD drawing to give me the locations of the holes and 1/4-20 SHCS.
    After drilling and boring the holes, I used a 1/8" slotting saw 6" in diameter to make the part clamp on the shafts!

This is nice and solid, and will accept as tall a part as the bar I use!
    The second bar is 5/8" dia, and the third is 1/2" Dia. After turning the end of the small bar in the lathe, I put the tip in the vise and bent it! Then I put the bent bar in the vise and used a long endmill to cut flats on the sides of the bend, this comes in handy for narrow parts, and the stop can be located so that it is down under the part, with the tip just between the parallels!

Any way, it's another Widgit!

Hope this helps some of the newbe's who are setting up their 1st shop!

The last shop I worked in, I made thirty of these!
    It was the only way I could keep the 2nd shift crew from stealing mine!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ViseStop.JPG   000_0626.JPG   000_0627.JPG   000_0628.JPG  

000_0629.JPG   000_0630.JPG   000_0631.JPG