586,075 active members*
4,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Bridgeport Torq Cut 22: What lubricants? Where? How?

Bridgeport Torq Cut 22: What lubricants? Where? How?

I am in the process of setting up a 1995 Bridgeport Torq Cut 22 CNC vertical 3 axis milling center. I'm reading through the "Installation & Maintenance Manual" and am a little confused about what lubricants go where. I got the way lube (Mobil Oil Vactra Oil No. 2, among others) and the pneumatic system filter regulator (DTE 24) figured out, the confusion is on the transmission fluid (Mobil Oil SHC 626 EP) and something the manual barely speaks about is recommended air lubricants (Mobil Velocite No. 6, Shell Tellus R10, Castrol Hyspin AWS 10, Duckhams Zircon 1, Texaco Spintex 60, BP Energol HPL 10, Esso Nuto H10, and Centyry P79A/P/198A).

OK, for the questions:
    1: Where the heck do I get that transmission fluid (Mobil Oil 5HC 626 EP)? I can't even find it mentioned anywhere on the internet. It's briefly mentioned in the manual, no alternative is offered, and the manual never states anything about ever changing it, checking it, etc. The only thing it states it to check/fill it when the machine is new. Is it possible this never gets changed?

2: What do they mean when they state "recommended air lubricants"? The manual states to keep the pneumatic system filter regulator filled with DTE 24, so what do they mean when they say "recommended air lubricants" and where might this lubricant go, the manual states nothing more on this subject. Is this if I added a regulator upstream of the machine?

Thanks, Mike.

Re the Mobil lube: try contacting Mobil directly. They may have superceded it.

FWIW, a lot of the early gear lubes were basically "industrial" APG 90 or 140 gear oils with EP (extreme pressure additives). WIth the advent of more stringent fuel economy requirments as well as higher lubrication demands, many were reformulated for improved lubricity and better film strength even with lower viscosities.

For example, whereas APG 90 was the starndard lube for manual gear boxes, DEXRON III has superceding it in both FWD transmissions and differentials. It has also been used in RWD transmissions and transfer cases of late. From some prior lube work, I've learned/found that the contemporary DEXRON is a great replacement for a lot of cases that formerly used "gear oils".

Mobil Velocite is a special "high velocity", well filtered spindle lubricant. The #6 grade should be pretty thick stuff. We use a blend of Velocite 2 and 3 in our grinding spindle. In a pinch, we used DEXRON and were actually MORE satisfied with the performance - the cost of DEXRON was MUCH lower too. I do believe that #6 might have similar viscosity curve as DEXRON. BTW, Dexron did a MUCH better job of lubing a ball bearing that was in our grinding spindle than the the Velocite 2/3 blend did.

From discussions with the guy (a retired lube engineer), DEXRON is a highly fortified lube with seal conditioners and anti-oxident and anti-corrosive agents. It superbly and regularly outperformed the Velocite blend we were using.

It turns out that DEXRON and a lot of automotive lubes out perform "industrial" lubes due to the more severe performance requirments of automotive use (wide temp extremes, long drain intervals, moisture resistance, corrosion resistance, multiple lubrication requirments of rolling and sleeve bearings along with rubber seals). BTW, DEXRON makes a good anti-rust coating for ferrous parts....

If you're system needs a "mist" lube, DEXRON is real close to "air tool" oil which serves as a "mist lube agent" in systems that use such lubes.

Do you have a transmission beneath the spindle motor? That is where the gearbox lube goes. There is a sight glass.
    The gearbox version of the TC-22 has a shot pin and rotac for changing gears. That is why air lube in the air lubricator is vital. As well as for the tool changer!
    Velocite number 6 is a 10 weight spindle oil that is very commonly used in spindle coolers and chillers. Obtained at Grainger very easily.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

OK,
    The manual states that the pneumatic system filter regulator lubricator takes DTE 24, it then states the Velocite No. 6, etc. as a recommended air lubricant but DOES NOT say where it goes. If the lubricator bowl takes the DTE 24 then where does the Velocite go as a recommended air lubricant go? As far as the transmission I was more looking at where to purchase the SHC 626 EP lubricant. Thanks, Mike.

There is no such thing as Mobil 5HC EP oil. It is Mobil SHC EP.

Tons of sources when you Google the proper stuff. First try the local Mobil distributor - check the yellow pages.

HINT: do a comparison to automotive grade gear oils - easily done on the Mobil website.

http://www.prod.exxonmobil.com/lubes...ubricants.html

You just may find that a readily available substitute can be purchased in quart bottles at a NAPA, Autozone or some other notable chain of automotive suppliers.

Some equivalent lubes can be found here:

http://www.seaportshipservices.com/e...uct_tables.pdf

Pretty much any lube that meets the "AGMA 9005-D94 EP" rating should suffice.

Most critical things to compare are the viscosity and EP rating followed by corrosion resistance comparison and the various other performance specs offered.

OOPS! typo. Supposed to be Mobil Oil SHC, NOT 5HC. Anyway, where does the "recommended air lubricant" go???? The air regulator lubricator takes DTE24, so where does the Velocite go?????? Thanks, Mike.