586,102 active members*
2,537 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > 5 axis cnc versus 5 axis cam software

5 axis cnc versus 5 axis cam software

I've built and used a 3 axis device for machining 3D cad surfaces.
    I am considering building a 5 axis device as I have seen this can be done cost effectively - and will mean I can mill a complex 3D form and not have to worry about designing the CAD shape to match the abilities of my 3 axis machine.
    However when looking at the project costing I think I could end up with a machine that works but no affordable CAM software to generate the toolpaths to run it. In web searches I have found examples of home built 5 axis cnc cutting 3d splines and pockets but no 'surface machining'.
    Have any other home builders found this dichotomy between access to 5 axis cnc machine and toolpath generation?

CNC_Toolkit

Quote Originally Posted by davidsutton View Post
    I've built and used a 3 axis device for machining 3D cad surfaces.
    I am considering building a 5 axis device .... I think I could end up with a machine that works but no affordable CAM software ...... In web searches I have found examples of home built 5 axis cnc cutting 3d splines and pockets but no 'surface machining'.

Have any other home builders found this dichotomy between access to 5 axis cnc machine and toolpath generation?
    Hi there,

there is a tried and tested solution that could meet your requirements. The gmax/CNC_Toolkit software combination is acheiving this task daily and producing excellent output.

Surface Machining paths are easily acheived either by importing a 3 axis based surface path and re-mapping to 5 axis using CNC_Toolkit functions... and yes this does benefit from use of the rotary axes as it factors face normal orientation into the re-mapping.

Alternatively the toolkit can project a spline onto a surface, deforming the spline into the form required to carve it. For highly detailed surfaces this can take sometime. There are some alternative spline deformation methods, which, when applied to this kind of work, can speed it up considerably. This is a relatively new development.. but it does work and will be added to the 'Enhancements' section of the toolkit user guide in a future update.

Price is a consideration as with all things...

gmax, the CNC_Toolkit host software is FREE. Distributed via the turbosquid website. This software is by discreet/Autodesk, based on Autocad and 3D Studio Max. I has power and function for 2D and 3D work far beyond the demands of most CNC users.

CNC_Toolkit is a MAXScript plugin. It is also FREE for personal use and unlimited testing. A commecial license costs £100 GBP.

Does it work... ? Absolutely. Without a doubt, it's a brilliant piece of MAXScript programming.

I suggest a vist to the website in my sig and a download of the FREE version of the CNC_Toolkit user guide. If you browse the website tutorial page for chapters 11, 12 and 13 some clear examples of what the toolkit is capable of are presented, including toolpath re-mapping for use with 4 and 5 axes.. Follow the toolkit links on the "Essentials" page... you will see some interesting 5 axis work using the MAX/CNC_Toolkit combination.

Please note I have no affiliation to the toolkit itself. I do not own or distrubute it. I just think it's an option that many have missed out on in the past. I did author the toolkit user guide.. and I do distribute it, to promote wider use of gmax/CNC_Toolkit.

Hope this helps

Danny
    What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

thanks

this sounds very promising - I will go there and have a look in particular the examples offerred - thanks again

If you want to see the toolkit running a machine..

Quote Originally Posted by davidsutton View Post
    this sounds very promising - I will go there and have a look in particular the examples offerred - thanks again
    Hi there,

glad you found it helpful....

If you want to see the toolkit running a machine... follow the Rotary drive links on the Project page at cnc4free.

This link will take you to Colin Doughty's website. There's video there of his 5 axis design running CNC_Toolkit Gcode. Colin sells the plans for the machine in the video, discounted against the cost of a BC axis head kit.... If I was building again I'd be very tempted to build Colin's machine, or an adaptation of it....

Colin has some additional 4 and 5 axis machining videos using toolkit code on youtube. Rab Gordon, the author of the toolkit, also has some videos on youtube..

A FREE 3,4 and 5 axis solution has been available for at least 10 to 12 years.... The vast majority of CNC users have just simply failed to realise it....

TTFN

Danny
    What one man can do another man can do..
    BitMaps to Models, 3D2Relief, tutorials and FREE CNC Software http://cnc4free.org

Re: CNC_Toolkit

The problem with cnc toolkit is that it only works with head mounted 4/5th axis . It doesn't work with trunnion type 4/5th axis.
    If enough people go onto the Yahoo cnc_tool_kit forum and ***** that it doesn't do trunnion then maybe some one will figure out how to fix it. Here is a video of my mill drill doing 5 axis machine with a low cost trunnion and my low cost 5 axis control box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0zMushHRc The G code was produced by a friend of mine that has access to power mill pro.
    It's a real shame that no one is interested in fixing cnc tool kit for trunnion type 5 axis.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by yohudi View Post
    Hi there,

there is a tried and tested solution that could meet your requirements. The gmax/CNC_Toolkit software combination is acheiving this task daily and producing excellent output.

Surface Machining paths are easily acheived either by importing a 3 axis based surface path and re-mapping to 5 axis using CNC_Toolkit functions... and yes this does benefit from use of the rotary axes as it factors face normal orientation into the re-mapping.

Alternatively the toolkit can project a spline onto a surface, deforming the spline into the form required to carve it. For highly detailed surfaces this can take sometime. There are some alternative spline deformation methods, which, when applied to this kind of work, can speed it up considerably. This is a relatively new development.. but it does work and will be added to the 'Enhancements' section of the toolkit user guide in a future update.

Price is a consideration as with all things...

gmax, the CNC_Toolkit host software is FREE. Distributed via the turbosquid website. This software is by discreet/Autodesk, based on Autocad and 3D Studio Max. I has power and function for 2D and 3D work far beyond the demands of most CNC users.

CNC_Toolkit is a MAXScript plugin. It is also FREE for personal use and unlimited testing. A commecial license costs £100 GBP.

Does it work... ? Absolutely. Without a doubt, it's a brilliant piece of MAXScript programming.

I suggest a vist to the website in my sig and a download of the FREE version of the CNC_Toolkit user guide. If you browse the website tutorial page for chapters 11, 12 and 13 some clear examples of what the toolkit is capable of are presented, including toolpath re-mapping for use with 4 and 5 axes.. Follow the toolkit links on the "Essentials" page... you will see some interesting 5 axis work using the MAX/CNC_Toolkit combination.

Please note I have no affiliation to the toolkit itself. I do not own or distrubute it. I just think it's an option that many have missed out on in the past. I did author the toolkit user guide.. and I do distribute it, to promote wider use of gmax/CNC_Toolkit.

Hope this helps

Danny