586,075 active members*
3,886 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Surface contour cuts both sides

Surface contour cuts both sides

I have a part on which I have a hex shaped boss protruding from a flat plate. When I use the Surface Finish Contour tool and select the 6 faces that make up the side walls of the boss, it makes a tool path both on the outside of the boss (which does what I want) and the inside (which destroys the boss). How do I force it to just contour one side of the boss?

I've selected the "Containment - Outer" option and it does nothing. I've read other solutions about creating additional geometry to make a containment surface, but I don't quite understand it. Shouldn't the geometry I have be enough?

Re: Surface contour cuts both sides

Quote Originally Posted by bl3030 View Post
    I have a part on which I have a hex shaped boss protruding from a flat plate. When I use the Surface Finish Contour tool and select the 6 faces that make up the side walls of the boss, it makes a tool path both on the outside of the boss (which does what I want) and the inside (which destroys the boss). How do I force it to just contour one side of the boss?

I've selected the "Containment - Outer" option and it does nothing. I've read other solutions about creating additional geometry to make a containment surface, but I don't quite understand it. Shouldn't the geometry I have be enough?
    Are the hex walls tapered ? if NO, it is better to use 2D contour, as this gives a path more suited to the task & not give unwanted paths that would need further tweeking of the operation's options (or picking additional surfaces , etc.)

Drive surfaces, the toolpath is calculated to these items
    Check surfaces, tool is to stay away from these ( separate Offset )
    "Containment" refers to how the toolpath is restricted(expanded) when near the containment geometry, it has no effect on how the path is calculated around the surface (or solid faces) ,,,, UNLESS, the toolpath needs to be adjusted when near restriction/expansion

NOTE---- if the Check surface offset is larger than the drive surface offset, it can result in NO TOOLPATH being calculated.(i.e. the outside check shape is the same as the drive shape )

Try selecting just the top face of the hex ( NOT the walls), set the Depths to absolute, min ( below the top of the hex,) max ( bottom of the hex) --- the toolpath will cut at these levels ( plus the drive offset value )

Thanks for the response!

You're right, I really should just use a regular contour. I was experimenting with the surface finish paths because I don't understand them very well.

If that boss were to be tapered, how would I handle it?

Also, my next step is I have the same boss, but now the surface it is on is at a downward angle from the tool. Is that the appropriate use of surface contouring?

If that boss were to be tapered, how would I handle it?
    I assume you mean the walls of the hex,,,
    - really depends on the part shape, each job is different
    me, I'd try to use the standard 2D contour, pocketing etc. Just to get the bulk out with tipped tooling, then use the more expensive tools ( solid carbide etc ) to semi-finish or finish the shape & then lastly do the surfaces

I try to follow a procedure, the easier operations done quick ( less stuffing around with cut options, stepovers, depth cuts, missing areas etc ), this allows more time to concentrate on selecting & fine-tuning surfacing paths

Also, my next step is I have the same boss, but now the surface it is on is at a downward angle from the tool. Is that the appropriate use of surface contouring?
    Not sure what you mean - your terminology seems from a newbie ( no offense intended )
    so, I assume the bottom walls of the hex is "sliced" on a different plane ?
    I'd 2D contour if I could, then surface the bits that are not flat or vertical.... the actual surfacing strategy is not fixed in stone, But the choice you make is NOT really incorrect, if it gets the job done, but just be aware that there may be a better choice ( within that strategy's settings, or by using a completely different strategy)