Hi,

I will be starting this month a CNC router. I already got the framework, which is basically a 1/8" thick stainless steel sheet bent around all corners to form a box. The box size is 33.25" long, 24.5" wide, 9.5" high. At only one end (24.5" by 9.5" end) there is a narrow slot near the bottom with no bent sides, this would be a perfect place to slide the parts to be cut into. I plan to put the gantry inside the box, well, as much as I can. I thing the Z-axis will be stick outside the box, depending how big the router is.

I plan to use it mostly for wood, like balsa to oak. Mostly 2.5D engraving and cutting part out. Maybe some 3D wood milling and 3D aluminum. The Z-axis will be go down to 2" to 2.5". The rate of cutting is not important, if it takes all day to cut and so be it. What router do you suggest to use?

The cutting area is uncertain yet, but I am guessing it would probably be around 26" by 18". This is assuming the grantry uses up 6" on the 33.25" axis, and 5" on the 24.5" axis.
1) How short or long should I make these to insure I get a good support for the gantry and the router head platform? Or is the measurement I predict ok? or can it be a little shorter?

I guess I should mention the linear motion system I will be using. Well, I am thinking of using an 1" diameter rod (that polish grinded shaft material). Its better quality than the regular steel rods. 2 pcs going along the 33.25" length, and 2 going along the gantry on the 24.5" length. I was looking at the 3/4" diameter but I think that is too weak for my needs. There is thompson bars but they are expensive. The grinded shaft is expensive but lesser than the thomspon bar. And I plan to use linear ball bearings. I these are a good in between of linear block/rail method, and the regular bearing on rod method.
2) Is this alright? Is 1" strong enough for my needs? Maybe the Z axis for the router should use the 3/4" rod.

Furthermore, I will be drilling holds at either ends of the box in order to put the rods in. On the outside of the box, there will be a metal block maybe around 24.5" x 2.5" with holes in them to support the rods, and this block will be either welded in place or screwed. The rods will be screw tightened into the blocks, in the preparation for future remove of weared out rod.
3) Is this adequate? Should I make th block out of SS or aluminum?

Control system. I plan to get the CandCNC breakout board. I am looking at Xylotex's 3-axis system with 269oz steppers and 24v power supply. I am thinking I will use a belt train to reduce it by 3:1 or something in the range. To make the steppers stronger and better resolution.
4) Is this system alright for my CNC? And is 3:1 ok or should I go for more?

Software recommendations? I really like to use my laptop for the cnc which is 1.8Ghz AMD athlong processor with Windows XP. Mach 2/3 looks good and I hear good things about it, but is there other good windows based software?
I also need software for 2.5D engraving on wood, mostly for hobby airlplane parts on balsa sheets, and engraving on larger wood, like oak, pine, others. But I an hoping that I can use it on aluminum to make some molds for model airplane fuselages. I need something I can adjust the rate of the cutting (ipm).

Thank for you taking the time to read this, this is what I have so far.