586,115 active members*
3,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Design or plans for New Router/Engraver

Design or plans for New Router/Engraver

Hey Guys and Gals in Chip Land!
    I'm getting ready to start a router/engraver project and am trying to source a set of design plans. My general requriements are:
    1. Table Size of approximately 24 X 24
    2. Contructed of metal (most likely aluminum)
    3. Ball screws for accuracy (engraving small articles)
    4. Servo drives (have drives and motors on the shelf).
    5. And of course, cost is always an issue.

I plan to engrave handgun slides and use the router for genreal play issues. I'm going to try and source parts and materials off of fleabay and am not in a hurry (I'm just warming up to a converted lathemaster mill).
    I'm trying to find a source for building plans for a good, sturdy machine. I've reviewed plans from the DIY section but I'm envisioning a machine a bit more heavy duty.
    Also, I build better off of detailed plans instead of reverse or re-engineering existing plans. My problem is that I get engrossed in the redesign and spend most of my time improving on the design instead of building. So, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Please do not rate anyones plans as better or worse than others since I don't want any hard feelings. Anyway I have to judge what I can and cannot do as compared to the design requirements.
    Help is appreciated and I'll keep everyone posted!
    billyjack
    cheers chaps!!!
    :cheers:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

As far as plans go, I can't really help you. I'm the opposite of you in that I looked at some DIY plans and then sat down and engineered my own machine. But the best general advice I could give is that I would visit eBAY and see what linear rails you can get and build the size of your machine from there. I was planning on a 18" X 18" travel until I happended upon a good deal on eBay and ended up with 28" X 28" travel for about the same price.

Jason

Thanks Jason;
    Sounds like good advioce so guess I'll start serfing fleabay for some parts. Thanks again for the info. Have any pix of your machine???
    billyjack
    :cheers:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

I've been building my machine for 2 months now, and have about 2 weeks or so before it will be all together and running. I'll post pics then, so keep your eye out.

Jason