586,094 active members*
3,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Anyone faimliar with Vicon Tables? need some ideas

hello everyone

i work for a small sheetmetal company as an apprentice, although i have a degree in computer technology too, we mostly handle hvac and its what our 5x10 vicon cutting table is used for.

but we have been doing alot of side work sketching parts.

our table is from the early 1990s, and the computer we are using is a 400mhz machine running windows 98!!!!!!!!

i have built a new computer running windows xp, but i have yet to even get it to interface with the table, which is connected via a large black box ( Spooler ? ) with a printer port cable.

we are currently running version 2.11 of the vicon software. if anyone has any input into upgrading the computer system please let me know

i am also looking to find out what other cam programs can be used with a vicon tables hardware.
    something that would be easier for importing dxf files

thanks for your help!

Re: Anyone faimliar with Vicon Tables? need some ideas

Okay, so small update I finally got a hold of vicon technician and spoke with him.

"Devon, unfortunately your software will not work with anything newer than windows 98SE, but the electronics in your fiber optic box is the real sticking point, they just are not fast enough to handle any computer fast enough to run windows XP. You can upgrade the electronics and software. I attached a formal quote to upgrade your system."

I guess I'm having a hard time understanding why the computers speed would affect how it communicates with the table. I'm going to spend some time tonight testing and troubleshooting.

However I have the software working somewhat so I know that what the technicians told me is not entirely accurate

Thanks for this. I was previously considering Vicon, but now I'm not so sure.