586,111 active members*
3,183 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Solsylva 25 x 25

Hi people,

I'm Niels from The Netherlands and I bought one of David's plans that I believe are well known here. I want to build myself a cnc router because I have some projects planned that need precise cutting in wood and plastics that are just way too complex to be cut by hand or with jigs and such. I like the Solsylva machines because they are pretty stripped down to the basics and there are no parts that have to be "machined." And the work area of the 25 x 25 machine is just what I need.
    I'll be making the machine out of oak because we have enough of it at our disposal since my father is a retired woodworker. Ironically he shut down his woodworking business some years ago partly because he couldn't compete with more and more guys who were doing there work with cnc machines. But since were making this thing partly out of wood itself and I can teach him to do small projects with it, I guess this will all be very therapeutic

I'm now in the process of doing some Sketchup drawings because the machine's x-axis will be slightly larger too be a able to fit a standard length of threaded/trapezoidal rods. They come in 1 meter lengths (39.3"). Since I don't have enough money right now to buy trapezoidal leadscrews (we don't have ACME rods with 2 start or more) with anti-backlash nuts and got to have the machine up and running in a short amount of time, I'm forced to go with hardware store threaded rods for a couple of months to a half year. The projects that need cnc cutting at this time only consist of soft wood and 2mm (0,08") plastic sheet cutting so I'm hoping to get away with this for the time being. I can even eliminate backlash since there are some very cheap delrin ab nuts for threaded rods on ebay:

LOW-COST ANTI-BACKLASH DELRIN NUT FOR M10 1.5MM PITCH CNC LEAD SCREW - 1 piece | eBay

Now my first questions I think would be if I should go for M10 (3/8") or M8 (5/16") threaded rod?

B.T.W. The stepper motors will be NEMA 23 3NM (424 oz.in) Driven by Leadshine M542 V2.0 drives. They come together with a power supply and cables and It's the least expensive package that a well-known supplier from The Netherlands sells. I think it's all Chinese stuff but it does includes warranty. (instead of most the stuff coming straight from Ebay)

Re: Solsylva 25 x 25

I'd go with the M10 screws.
    Make sure the motors you buy have a very low inductance (3Mh or less), or you'll get very poor performance with your threaded rod.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Solsylva 25 x 25

Thanks Gerry,

They are 3.8Mh. Is that low enough?