586,075 active members*
4,063 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 6MB Mainboard ROM

My machine have some failed ROM chips.
    Can anyone help me, or is there any where we can buy or exchange these ROM?
    Thanks

I have some 6T ROM spare chips, but i do not know if they are the same. I dont think so...but we can try. Does anyone knows if they are the same?

Fanuc 6 EPROM chips

The EPROM chips used on the Fanuc 6 series controls are definitely not all the same. The early 6T and 6M controls had the EPROMS plugged directly into the main mother board, and there were different series for CNCs with CRTs and for those without CRTs. Later 6T-B and 6M-B controls had a smaller "daughter" board with all the EPROMS, and the 6T-B was different from the 6M-B. Later, there was another version of the control that had higher-density EPROMS (6TB-2 and 6MB-2), and once again these EPROMS are not interchangable with earlier versions.

When you first turn on the control the Series (the first number) and the Version (the second number) are shown for a few seconds. If the CRT is cold when you power-up, you may not see these numbers. Try turning on the control for several minutes, then turn it off then back on in about 3 seconds. Since the CRT is already warmed up, you'll see the software numbers clearly.

Do not swap out the EPROMS with another control unless the Series number is the same. If the Version number is different, you'll have to swap out the WHOLE SET rather than just a few EPROMS. Chances are, you won't find two Fanuc 6s that have exactly the same Series and Version.

Almost anyone with an EPROM writer can burn a new set for you, but you'll have to copy the EPROMs from a control having the same Series software, or else call Fanuc for a new set.

I learned from my work with the Fanuc EPROMS on legacy equipment that they are definitely OEM specific.

Thus the proms from a 6T from say an ABC produced machine will may NOT be the same as those from an XYZ produced machine that does have the same idential turning functions but with a different control system at the output relay ladder.

If you're going to swap proms, try to get a software set from the same identical machine having the exact same relay logic ladder.

If you do contact Fanuc, don't be surprised if they try to send you to the OEM. Reason: some OEM's had proprietary software that may cost you big bucks to get replaced - if you can even get it.

I ran into that situation with my efforts to resurrect some legacy equipment and learned that getting PROM service from a machine tool maker who went under nearly 2 decades ago was, well, like trying to wipe your nose with your elbow....

Glenn Rowe at Billor Ent near Dallas TX has a lot of EPROMS on file and maybe he can read/burn you a set if you provide him with a known good set or a complete part number set for what you have....

My earlier post was intended to describe the EXECUTIVE EPROMs of the Fanuc 6T and 6M only. The PC ladder EPROMS are indeed unique to the individual machine tool. You can only swap out PC ladder EPROMs if the two machines are absolutely identical, right down to the last detail.

On the early model Fanuc 6T and 6M, the executive EPROMs were on the main "mother" board, and the PC ladder EPROMs were on the "PC/Puncher" board. Fanuc then introduced a "PC model B", which had it's own board with the PC ladder EPROMS and a separate microprocessor for the PC functions. On those controls, there was a "ROM" board with the executive EPROMs and a separate "PC Model B" board with the PC ladder EPROMs.

Fanuc 6MB ROM (Mainboard A16B...)

As I know, except the machine has some extra features (ATC, 4th-5th axis ...), for a specific mainboard, ROMs set is the same with the same model (here is 6MB).
    If anyone who have any set of EFROMs for 6MB, please give me a copy.