586,052 active members*
4,234 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Hurco VM1 Control wont start up!
Page 1 of 2 12

Hurco VM1 Control wont start up!

Hi

Can anyone help...?? I have come to turn my vm1 on this morning and although the power starts at the back end no power seems to be coming through to the front end so the control and lights aren't coming on.. Has anyone had this problem before??

Thanks
    Martyn

Re: Hurco VM1 Control wont start up!

For the best chance of a response, you should probably post a picture of the control. I don't know the VM1 off the top of my head so I had to search the web, at which point I discovered several different controls that were fit on the machine.

What year is the machine? What software is on the machine? Open up the back door when you turn it on. Are the fans on the rack running? What do the axis drives display?
    Could be blown control power fuse. Could be bad power supply. If the rack fans are running, power supply fans are running, axis drives say bb, could be a video card issue if it has dual screen video card.

Hi
    The machine is 2007 Ultimax control with single screen, Yes the fans are running when I open the back up and the axis display say bb on them. Even the light on the top of the machine isn't working as though no power is getting through to the front??
    Could it be a blown control power fuse?

Unplug the VGA plug from the card rack and plug a monitor into it to see if there is any output from the control. If still no output, put the static strap on your wrist, open the rack and look for the CPU. If it has a big heatsink on it, remove the CPU from the rack and then undo the two clips holding the heatsink down (do this by unclipping both clips at the same time to avoid unseating the CPU from the board). When it is unclipped, gently tap the board flat on a table and then re-fit the clips carefully. I've had this bring CPUs back to life a few times.

Not a blown fuse. Still could be a bad power supply. Pull the front cover of the rack in the back (4 Thumb screw) and take a look at the at the top right on the inside there will be a circuit board mounted right to the side or top on a vm1. on that board you will see little white test points may be 5 or more. look with a flash light and they are marked on the board. Test with volt meter. Should have -12vdc 5.10vdc, 12vdc, 24vdc. All though we know the 24V is good, cause the drives say bb. if no 24vdc they will flash POT,NOT. The 5.10Vdc and 12Vdc is what we are most interested in.
    One other thing about the CPU it is most likely a peak715, the CMOS batter could be dead. I have witnessed one that started, game us a bootdisk failure, when restarted gave use nothing not even a post. send a picture of the rack with the cover off we can identify the cpu by just looking at it.

Could it be as simple as a contractor not working. Maybe only one leg getting through it.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

I just noticed you are in the UK. Whereabouts are you?

Hull

Ah, righty. Andy T's territory.

Do you have any contact details for him please?

Thanks.

I do. I've worked with him for donkeys years. Will he know who you are?

Not sure, I met him a couple of times I think when I worked for someone else before I set up myself. But whether he remembers me I don't know.

I've had a number of issues with mine. First the VGA board was flaky, I removed & cleaned it, cleaned the card edge. The large multi-pin connector that plugs into the back of the CPU and goes to the control was flaky, I cleaned it with some contact cleaner and re-seated it.

If you haven't replaced the CMOS battery, it's long over due. If you lose the CMOS setup, you can email Hurco and they will email you the CMOS file. It won't boot if it's lost it CMOS setup, it takes a 2032 coin cell.

If you have the Nexcom 715VL P-B CPU board in your machine, you can email me and I'll forward the CMOS setup file, I still have it.

One other thing it can do, I don't know how or why, but mine has gone into dual monitor mode on occasion. All it really did was mess up the touch screen scaling, can't recall if it went blank or not.

My bet is on the CMOS battery, mine is a 2007 and it died Late last year and put me in a momentary panic.

I can't say I've had the battery stop a CPU displaying the startup screen before. It will stop the HDD being recognised though. Normally it will display a boot disk error rather than a blank screen.

Bloke, I have only seen it happen once, we started the machine got a boot disk failure, shut it down to reboot and look at the Cmos, and a blank screen was all I got. we replaced the battery and it came back to life, Set the Cmos values and it was off and running. Now that being said I should have asked if he was seeing the NO SYNC when power was turned on.

Yes, I wondered that too. I asked him to try plugging a monitor into the rack to see if he had a signal there or if the display was borked. I think he's going to call our service department tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ph2011 View Post
    Even the light on the top of the machine isn't working as though no power is getting through to the front??
    This sounds like more then just a video problem. I would test main power on both side of contractors and fuse blocks first. I'm not sure how power legs are in the UK,but still sound like one leg of power is not working.

Just an idea to try.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

This is a simple backplane computer. Nothing special. The nexcom 715 is not special. If you need to replace it order one off eBay and set the jumpers like your stock board. Hurco would love for you to believe it's all proprietary. It's not.

Hurco don't tell anyone it's proprietary. It's obvious it's not. There's only a couple of stock CPUs that have been used that had Hurco specific BIOS on them. Most people seem to want Hurco to supply the part though because the downtime is less.

Page 1 of 2 12