586,096 active members*
3,396 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Flade Motor & Controller Wiring

Hi All,
    I ordered an item that thought would be easy to hook up for use as a drill press motor replacement and am having difficulty in wireing the control unit to make it run.I am not that electrical minded, (Just enough to be Dangerous) So I SEEK the Advice of though's that are familial with this sort of thing. The motor itself runs on an Penta drive that I have for my mill spindle and is very quiet, However my knowledge in this controller has me wondering if I may have a faulty part or am Just not doing the hook up right. I have attached a picture of the cartoon that I downloaded from the site to get a grip on what I have, and wish for some advice.I have been tring all sorts of connections on the pot I have ,and with no results of movement. It's a 5K ohm and does work up and down on a volt meter. Any help is Great, For I whish I knew what I am Doing Wrong.

Re: Flade Motor & Controller Wiring

Hi
    Just an update.... I used a 3 prong plug to ground the controller . and switched the wires on the pot, 'Let out all the Magic Smoke'.. So now I have to get another 5K ohm pot. I didn't think that grounding the unit was of a big concern, Guess I thought Wrong Again.

You have to be carefull where you ground the earth conductor as this is a non isolated drive, IOW the circuit board common can be at 120v above ground.
    Do you have a model No and does it need an Enable to run?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Hello Al,
    I appreciate your looking and Advise. I made a short Vid of the product.
    I went to the shack and he will have a pot sometime Monday but I could drive 10 miles and get on today , But.... He said something to the effect that is the pot linear or taper? this I have no idea of what I would need as to get this to work. Also I showed him the print and said "it looks as though you need to solder on 2 resistors to the pot 1 560 ohm and 1 1800 ohm? I never seen this, but don't know that much of electrical to do me good, but I try. Ihooked the yellow grd up to a 3 prong plug, and on the pot I got smoke out of term 1 on the pot. Fried it. Advise.... have you ever seen resister soldered to a pot output legs? Just questioning. No part #'s on the part,just ROHS 110 V. I Appreciate Your Help.

EDIT: cannot send Video , till I figure it out how to do. Sorry.

Never seen the add on resistors?
    He probably was asking if you wanted a linear or log taper for the pot, you need linear.
    Al.

Albert E.

Hi All,
    For what it's worth , talked to a few people that know, and are retired EE and we used the part to hook up on the bench , WITH NO RESULTS!!. Looked for an ENABLE switch connection etc,and found nothing that would suggest a hookup, OR we are all BLIND. Pot and resistors are in place and all soldered and checked twice and then some, and still no results. Found a cracked plastic shroud that was broke n , but is only cosmetic . Maybe I just have a dud, and so be it! If anyone is fortunate to get a good running controller If I can ask is, please post your results of your wiring hookup. This is prolly to simple for us to figure out. Any other suggestion's, I'm Open to, and welcomed. I'll answer here. Best of Luck....

I was thrown by the Penta reference, Now i remember this IS a KB drive. I have used most of these drives so if you have a number on the chassis, it should indicate the board used and it is very straight forward to hook up.
    If you can include a photo fo the board, even better.
    Al.

Albert E.

I phoned for a replacement for the controller and to my surprise, No Hassle about a replacement. I still cannot get why it has voltage and becomes live when the earth grd is applied. This is Dangerous. Maybe the unit is bad to begin with,although the person I spoke to does not know anything about the product. Just sales. We'll see when the other arrives.

Al, I used MY Penta Drive to check the motor, thought the motor was @ fault. All is Good... Maybe a little confusing the way I first posted the problem that lead to the Misunderstanding. My Apologies.