586,058 active members*
3,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > Cutting wet or dry- Phase 2 for the Newb!

Cutting wet or dry- Phase 2 for the Newb!

My Shopmaster 2010 is tested out (to the most part) - Cleaned & Oiled up. I have the hand held RPM tool for $15.99 from amazon. (very cool). I've done Autocad 3d, and some CAM prep...I went w/ Dolphin CAM Mill PRO. I'm in IT so the computer part is easy- Now for the hard part: time to get some chips going. I'm going to practice on some scrap. W/ a .5 cutter on some 1045 steel. (which is what I work w/). I've read about using Flood, -vs- Mist, versus dry. I simply cannot see cutting dry w/ these units? So I have the Mister Unit and the 5Gal bucket and the Shopmaster water table all prepped and working.

Here is my Q: What do you typically find for using Mist or flood on the machine in general? Is there a expected typical clean up following the cut? I did read in some of JT's write ups about the stuff turning to Gook inside the machine and upon on the ball screws. Mine is the 2010 and has a cover but I'm sure will get soaked. Anyway Wanted to ask are you a Web, Mist or Dry camper? Thoughts on when and what circumstances comments very welcome and appreciated. I still wish I could have bought a new unit - But my used Gal is looking pretty nice. Time do see how she dances (And yes I realize she's only as good as her partner,,,,, Me! ) ;-)

Re: Cutting wet or dry- Phase 2 for the Newb!

I myself use mist. While I haven't started using it yet on this unit I find works well on stainless. I use mostly carbide cutters on mill and lathe so coolant isn't always necessary except on my hard cuts and drilling. On my 2014 unit everything is covered well but will let you know once I get to using it. Hopefully in the next few weeks once I get to 100% operation. Mill on mine was not even close to usable out of the crate.