586,312 active members*
3,232 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

bad inverter/ spindle, or ?

hi,
    just bought a 2001 Multicam MG CNC router and now i'm getting a "power fail" message. I tried looking around online for any troubleshooting info but doesn't seem to exist. I think it may be a bad power inverter, but was going to see if anyone here might give me a tip; here's what its doing;
    after cutting for fairly short amounts of time the spindle raises up at the start/ end point of the cut and the display reads "power fail". then the screen changes to "power glitches: 7". then if you try and start back up it says "spindle 1 not ready" and "Modbus; inverter 1 timed out".
    if I reset the inverter thru the controller it will start up and run again until it goes thru the same process again minutes later. I guess the good thing here is its probably giving me some clues as to whats wrong.
    the spindle is relatively new, replaced a couple years ago. it's not running hot and sounds fine.

any info would be greatly appreciated. hope this is where I should post this.
    thanks,
    glenn

Re: bad inverter/ spindle, or ?

Hey Glenn;

I have used 1000 series with tool changer. I love it but its a frustrating machine at the same time. There is almost nothing out there for user resources and in Canada before they'll will even speak to you about trouble shooting even the simplest of things you have to pay for an hour of tech time at $125 plus taxes.

Anyway, not to rant, I had similar although not the exact same messages when I first got mine and hooked it up to run single phase. The machine was wired for 3 phase and I got some weird messages until I got it straightened out. Also I had several weird messages due to a few burned connectors. Cut em off stripped them back and new connectors and all was fine.

The machines seem hardy and they do seem to just stop working and give an error message instead of burning up which is nice!

mIKE

Quote Originally Posted by glennslanaker View Post
    hi,
    just bought a 2001 Multicam MG CNC router and now i'm getting a "power fail" message. I tried looking around online for any troubleshooting info but doesn't seem to exist. I think it may be a bad power inverter, but was going to see if anyone here might give me a tip; here's what its doing;
    after cutting for fairly short amounts of time the spindle raises up at the start/ end point of the cut and the display reads "power fail". then the screen changes to "power glitches: 7". then if you try and start back up it says "spindle 1 not ready" and "Modbus; inverter 1 timed out".
    if I reset the inverter thru the controller it will start up and run again until it goes thru the same process again minutes later. I guess the good thing here is its probably giving me some clues as to whats wrong.
    the spindle is relatively new, replaced a couple years ago. it's not running hot and sounds fine.

any info would be greatly appreciated. hope this is where I should post this.
    thanks,
    glenn
    www.classicplayfields.com