586,060 active members*
4,154 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

View Poll Results: Does Atlanta need another electronics surplus store?

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Of course... the more the merrier!

5 55.56%
  • No... dead end road. Forget about it.

1 11.11%
  • Maybe... if there was mail order too!

3 33.33%

Electronics Surplus in ATL

I have been hobbying with electronics for some time now and mostly I buy my components off of the 'net. In the Atlanta metro area, I only know of 2 decent places to by components. Neither are open on the weekends.

My question is this... for all of those in the Atlanta area... if there was another place in Atlanta/Athens dedicated to selling surplus electronics and such would you be interested in stopping by esp. if they were open on the weekends? Is this a dead end road taken up by the 'net?!

I know ya'll out there in Pheonix and the west are living ripe with surplus shops, but us in the southeast suffer still.

I have a great opportunity to start such a venture, and I was wondering if there was even an interest...

Thanks all,

mjarus.

I don't know what kind of person you are but I kind of solved that problem in a different way. I now sell off my unwanted scroungings to local electronic surplus stores. The robot guys seem to track me down oogling over the stuff that I come across. By doing the scrounging myself I get first pickens and the scrap metal money comes in handy.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

That is a good idea, however I am not looking to unload my extras... I may NEED them (ok... I am a packrat)! I actually have an opportunity to sell surplus to the public from broken down large lots of New Old Stock (NOS). While my wife claims that I have too much junk, it certainly isn't enough to start a shop with!

mjarus.

I know what you mean about being a packrat, my wife hates it with a passion but she does like the extra money though. A trip to the recycler this morning yielded $674.52 and that was scrap aluminum, cast aluminum and 6061 and $20 from the electronic junk store for a handfull of computer memory. It's the smaller steppers, motor gearboxes, pumps, valves, optointerupters and what nots that end up with the robot guys or electronic surplus stores. I've come to the condclusion that one doesn't need 75-7.5 degree steppers with a threaded shaft on the end. Ok, so I may keep 5 or so.

I did come up with this though a few weeks ago, hope to find another one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails router10.JPG  
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

I would love to see something in N. Georgia, Suwanee, Cumming, Buford type areas, There is nothing other than Fry's if that even counts.

Thanks for the reply bcromwell. I think the plan is to go out a little past Lawrenceville on 316 (maybe by the Lawrencewille airport?). It will definitely be somewhere on the NE side of the city, that is if all goes well and we determine the market will support it.

I appreciate the input on location. I guess the term "the Atlanta area" can be a little nebulous.

You are right though, Fry's is a little rough on the selection and the prices are pretty poor on the gadgetry. I don't even think they have the basic passives in stock, do they? If so I would hate to see the price on them! (chair)

Thanks again for the input.

mjarus.

Well, I wish you all the luck in the world in this venture.

I would really like to have another option available in the Metro ATL area as I
    often find myself in need of something quickly (weekends too) and in small
    quantity so it’s just too much trouble to order off the net considering
    minimum purchase and shipping plus the time delay.

I witnessed DELTA Electronics go from Electronic Surplus (20 years ago) to
    Brand X & Refrub computers and parts. Coleman’s joined up with some lighting
    supplier and (I Think) dropped most of the “electronics”. Austin Electronics is
    still in business in Norcross sometimes a good surplus find can be had from
    there. Fry’s has some parts but mostly prices seem to be WAY off base
    (MSRP +++) and as they only stock what the computer orders stock cannot
    be counted on to be re ordered. In addition, they don’t seem to employ
    anyone who really knows anything about electronics components, it’s more
    like a sideline. Then there is Radio Shack, where if what you need is not a
    CELL PHONE or Satellite TV then they don’t have a clue. If it’s an OEM
    replacement part or something expensive then ACK Electronics is available in
    the GA Tech area. Aside from those the “Thrift Stores” for scavenge - able
    items ( found some HP III printers for stepper motors @ 2.00 ea.) and “Ham-
    Fest” are the only options I know of in the area. More suppliers do exist but
    they are setup for large quantity business purchases.

As far as the “robot guys” you might want to sign up for the Atlanta Hobby
    Robot Club email list and post the question there
    (http://www.botlanta.org/mailman/list...t_botlanta.org)
    as well some of the electronics related Usenet groups
    Mike_L

When I was younger I thought I knew EVERYTHING,
    NOW, the older I get the more I find out I don’t know!

I can't help, but I feel your pain. I lived in Dayton Oh. for 5 years, and there are nice surplus houses there. Mendelson's is a pain to deal with, but you can learn a lot just browsing -- but if you want to buy something you better hope it has a price. Midwest Surplus in Fairborn is a really great store.

Then I moved to Utah, and as far as I know, there is nothing there beyond military surplus. Moved to central Pa, and there is nothing here within an hours drive. Thank goodness for Ebay.

Count me in

Mjarus,

When, Where ? I'm looking forward to a surplus store. Hope that you can really make it go. As far as real estate cost vs location goes, Buford highway - 285 area is probably a good bet. Not great for me (Alpharetta) , but I could make it when required and on Saturdays.

Buy, sell, trade would be really welcome with maybe a swap meet day like some of the Ca stores do.

I hope that your financing can support 2 or 3 years of business development - I think that you will need it.

regards,

Barry

Thanks for the responses all,

Well Barry it does look like I am going to do something, probably just on-line at first, then maybe a storefront. My original storefront plan fell through as the locations were just not that appealing. The good news is (well, for you anyways) is that if (or when) I do open a storefront the odds are pretty good that it will be in the Cumming/Sugar Hill area.

I do plan on doing some buy/sell/trade type formats. Right now I am loading up my inventory, I am trying to get some motion control stuff as we speak. I just scored some L292 chips that I will let slide on the cheap for you cnczone guys. :cheers: I am also working a solid lead on some metalworking tooling, more info on that later.

I will post more info probably mid-late July when I get the web-site up. Getting the inventory is taking a bit longer than expected... If you have any questions or requests in the meantime let me know. I will stock what the you guys want (or at least try) and so far, I will be able to sell all of it at far less than anywhere I could find on-line.

This project is DEFINITELY moving forward, maybe not with the same trajectory as originally thought. Barry and the rest of those around ATL, once the website is running I have no problem meeting cnczone folks in N. ATL to drop off items to save on shipping.

Thanks for all of the interest, and this is definetly going to be a go... I have too much invested now NOT to do something! Can't let minor set-backs stop me, right?!

mjarus.