586,313 active members*
4,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: X Y Z Decals

Page 1 of 2 12

X Y Z Decals

I thought I would help my self out so I made these decals. LOL! I am use to having all my axis moving away from me on the equipment I use at work.

Mike

Re: X Y Z Decals

I see nothing wrong with that!
    A lazy man does it twice.

Except the Z is correct and the other two are backwards makes more since to me from a programming standpoint to just learn to think of the tool moving and not the table.

I was pretty damn annoyed with my shiny new Haas that the jog hold buttons show table move (like your decals) and not tool (like all programming)

Nice work though. Anything to stop tool breakage is good!

Brian
    WOT Designs

I always think like the table. I have been told the opposite way is the correct method. Funny what you get used to, especially if you are winging it.

I also dont like having to imagine something non moving is moving??

It will always be a pain for me, 2 years and my table still moves in the wrong direction......... old habits are hard to break thats for sure.

I would like to see an option to reverse it in the software on the Tormach.
    mike sr

think of the tool moving and not the table
    EXACTLY!!!
    I worked with an guy who could ABSOLUTELY NOT comprehend that the table moves opposite of the programmed move.
    I guess his brain couldn't picture the TOOL moving according to the program. Instead, he was boggled by the table movement.
    He constantly scrapped parts by moving X,Y offsets in the wrong direction.
    HAHAHAHAHA .... Biggest dope I've ever worked with.

It's easy. If you take your right hand, make a fist and turn your knuckles away from you. Point your index finger away from you, your middle finger straight up and your thumb pointed to the right. That points all axis in the plus direction.

See? It's EASY.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

"The rule of the right hand"

Most of the problem in my opinion, is how you learn to do something initially, learning the correct way from the beginning is a big plus........

Two finger typing is one habit thats hard to break, I learned the correct way in school but my son is faster and he uses two fingers.
    mike sr

I would like to see an option to reverse it in the software on the Tormach.
    But then all of your programming would be backwards.
    The table would be moving 'correctly' to the eye, but the programmed +/- X,Y moves would be backwards.

The machine does not see movement as table movement. Your machine sees it as cutter movement. Your machine thinks the table is standing still and the cutter is actually moving around or in the part.

I program from the lower left corner of the part and then all moves are in the X plus Y plus direction.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

To remember which direction is which for X and Y I just visualize the Cartesian coordinate system. If I keep that in mind it's easy enough to keep things straight.

I think reversing the axes is a bad idea as well. In my opinion, doing so is just setting you up for failure in the future. Your code will only work on your machine (or other machines that are set up improperly), similarly: code from other sources won't work on your machine, transitioning to another machine will be difficult, and anyone else (who is used to the correct directions) will be confused by your machine. Also, if you start using an MPG your backward axes will make using it more difficult.

Does the Tormach version of Mach3 allow you to change the hotkey assignments? If so, you can simply reverse the assignments of the four arrow keys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hotkeys.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    To remember which direction is which for X and Y I just visualize the Cartesian coordinate system. If I keep that in mind it's easy enough to keep things straight.

I think reversing the axes is a bad idea as well. In my opinion, doing so is just setting you up for failure in the future. Your code will only work on your machine (or other machines that are set up improperly), similarly: code from other sources won't work on your machine, transitioning to another machine will be difficult, and anyone else (who is used to the correct directions) will be confused by your machine. Also, if you start using an MPG your backward axes will make using it more difficult.

Does the Tormach version of Mach3 allow you to change the hotkey assignments? If so, you can simply reverse the assignments of the four arrow keys.
    I am a firm believer in safety, dont get me wrong, its just that a government agency tends to over do anything they get into.

I dont want to reverse the axes, I just want the jog shuttle to move them oposite of what it does on x and y, the z is correct (in my thinking).
    The hot keys arent accessible in the Tormach version to my knowledge.

The only time it is a problem is if I am doing something by hand on the machine.

I made a wire bail to keep the plastic away from the spindle, worked well but needs a lot of refinement.

I have a downloaded copy of Mach on this computer and a jog shuttle, I will try it on this version to see if it will do what I would like before I try it on the machine version.
    Thanks for the info...

I need to learn the correct way, but at my age I dont learn anything easily ha!
    I called Tormach on it a couple years ago and they said it couldnt be done.

Thanks for the info..
    mike sr

I also have Mach3 installed on my non-machine computer so I can try stuff out. On a whim I decided to see if there might be a workaround to allow you to change your key assignments. I made a copy of my Mach3 installation folder, then opened Mach3 and changed the key bindings, closed Mach3, and then compared the normal installation folder with the copied folder using a program called Beyond Compare (cool program by the way).

The only file that had been changed was my machine's XML file. One entry that was modified was "SecondsOn", which clearly is some kind of usage timer and can be ignored. The other changes are highlighted in my attached image. Does the Tormach installation have a corresponding XML file? Are you comfortable changing it? If so, it looks like you can switch your keys by swapping the following pairs of entries...
    * AxisKeys0 and AxisKeys1
    * AxisKeys2 and AxisKeys3

I suspect if you open your XML file and search for AxisKeys0 you'll find that it's bound to "37" and right after it I suspect yours will have AxisKeys1 bound to "39". If I had a Tormach I'd try doing the change myself, but unfortunately I do not.

(Note: I'm not sure why all the keys in this particular installation of Mach3 were bound to "999".

I will check it out, turns out the copy of Mach3 I have on this computer is from Tormach and doesnt have the config files directory that I can axcess. I will try what you sent me and see what happens.

I very much appreciate your efforts.
    mike sr

When using the pendant, I as forever going bass-ackwards occasionally with expensive consequences. Finally I realized that if I imagined myself to be a foot or so left of the "Z" column, a "+" command for either the "X" or "Y" axis would bring the workpice closer to me. No more problems. For programming (I still do it manually), I just look at the print. Above the origin is "Y+" while right of the origin is "X" plus. Visuallizing the "Z" shouldn't be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mike sr1 View Post
    I will check it out, turns out the copy of Mach3 I have on this computer is from Tormach and doesnt have the config files directory that I can axcess. I will try what you sent me and see what happens.

I very much appreciate your efforts.
    Mike - Tormach's version of Mach3 is locked to prevent users from mucking with the settings and totally hosing the system. They will provide you with the unlock code if you sign off on a waiver. Just email support and they'll set you up.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Mike - Tormach's version of Mach3 is locked to prevent users from mucking with the settings and totally hosing the system. They will provide you with the unlock code if you sign off on a waiver. Just email support and they'll set you up.

Mike
    Mike,
    I really have no business messing with it thats for sure.

I can setup my machining ops ok, the only reason I would like it is for some of the manual operations.
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by JohnToner View Post
    When using the pendant, I as forever going bass-ackwards occasionally with expensive consequences. Finally I realized that if I imagined myself to be a foot or so left of the "Z" column, a "+" command for either the "X" or "Y" axis would bring the workpice closer to me. No more problems. For programming (I still do it manually), I just look at the print. Above the origin is "Y+" while right of the origin is "X" plus. Visuallizing the "Z" shouldn't be a problem.
    John,
    I tried a keypad and that worked by rotating it 180 degrees, but it was full speed in any direction, I just try to stay away from the vise and make the moves before entering the work etc.This is mostly on wood anyway.
    I do have a few two piece tools to show for it, kinda keeps a fellow alert ha!!

I am learning to deal with it, just a bit slow.....
    mike sr

Mike,

I bought one of those after market pendants as a Christmas gift to myself (I'm up to Christmas of 2023 now I don't remember which model but it was well recommended on this forum. Since I' won't be in the shop until tomorrow, I'm lost as to what brand/model it is. It was a little pricey, but as a Christmas gift, that shouldn't be a problem. It has a selector knob for the X,Y,Z, or A axis and a wheel that rotates left for (-) and right for (+). Turn wheel slowly, table moves slowly. Turn wheel rapidly and table follows along. I'm living proof it's idiot-proof. I really like it and would be lost w/o it. The only problem is that now my tools last so long I have to compensate for wear.

Page 1 of 2 12