587,048 active members*
2,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Dolphin CAD/CAM > Importing autocad .DXF 2D & 3D considerations? fails every-time.

Importing autocad .DXF 2D & 3D considerations? fails every-time.

there is a post below about setting up a Zplane mill job by me... There is a jpg pic of the two items I'm trying to import and setup a Mill Pro job upon. .... But first!! - I cannot get anything in .DXF to import into Mill Pro? I have imported these as 3d solids directly into MeshCAM no problem, so I am confused on how Mill Pro handles 2D or 3D when Mill PRo is supposed to be a 3D toolset? Anyone who can set me straight on this? I'm digging and searching on the error, but no avail. I've tried to export and change the drawing to a 2D and such. e

Re: Importing autocad .DXF 2D & 3D considerations? fails every-time.

In most cases, trying to export and import 3D solids as .dxf files is a bad choice, as it often will not work. This is due to the various versions of the .dxf file format, what entities the specific versions support, and what .dxf versions the CAM software supports.

When you say you imported these solids directly into MeshCAM, you didn't do it as .dxf files. You used .stl files, correct.

Not a Dolphin user, so I don't know what formats it supports. Exporting from AutoCAD, I'd first try native .dwg files, but you may need top go back a version or 2 (or 3 or 4). If that doesn't work, try .iges, or .sat files. If those don't work, you may need to go back to .stl.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Re: Importing autocad .DXF 2D & 3D considerations? fails every-time.

When importing a dxf, Dolphin doesn't support NURBS (as of now), so it's best to save the DXF as an R12/R14.

You can also import as an IGES or STEP file. Video attached.

http://www.dolphin1.myzen.co.uk/flash/pm3d-1.zip
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

UPDATE w/ files- Importing autocad .DXF 2D & 3D considerations? fails every-time.

Thanks Everyone- Making some progress. To ger21- Yes- I used STL files and it assigned the 3d shape into the material XYandZ. Just trying to understand 'this to that' is all. I would have liked, hoped, half expected it to take these in? But w/ the DCAM way- I guess this makes sense, just a new way of doing things. With this process, no need for any 3D drawings at all. but you need to tell it what to do on the 2D image in 3 dimensions. (I guess?).
    A big part of this is being too new. Will get there I'm sure! Just need some push in the right directions. I have attached the .CNC file too if anyone would like to review w/ me?

To Dolphin Support: Screen Shot below- at this point I've used FLATSHOT to take some front, iso, and side 2d representations and saved as R12. I've imported and I hope you may be able to guide me with this a bit?? I have PRO Mill, and the Simulator. (Note- I cannot really see what the contour labels are to setup my parms? Anytime I zoom, the image goes off the screen? I would hope I can I roll the screen w/ Zoom on?). All I want dCam to do is Mill the Axe edge from the curve to the edge as .125 slope in Z on each side. I can mount the part flat? and step down increments or I can Mount the axe in a 5degree slant and have it mill down in x depth over y passes in the assigned area ( which to me seems like a Face off OR Area Clear? (image below) If you want to see the 3D representation I have a post just a few down w/ the autocad 3d images to give you sense of depth if you wish. (file: in ZIP form)

Attachment 234964
    Attached Files Attached Files

UPDATE 2 w/ screens DCAD IGES import w/ autocad 3d to Mill Pro. Almost there!

Now this is a nice trick. Use the .SWF ZIP in the other thread to do this: Using IGESExport in Autocad 2014 I was able to take the igs file straight into Dolphin-CAD/Import IGES file via the partmaster menu. (screen shot below). Q1- Will that expire or is that a part of partmaster V12 I can count on w/ Mill Pro nd the Simulator?

Part 2: From the IGES 3D setup I selected my edge face shape and exported that straight into .cnc file and DMill on the fly. (very nice guys). (Screen #2 attached). Once inside DMill Pro, I'm trying to learn your screens and setups for the milling. ( thus I keep getting an error and I'm unsure about what/how the cutter's pass count and pass cut depth should be? Anyway- Any help on the error appreciated. The cutter will be a .5 5flute imco on 1045 steel. 40 stepover and a .006 feedrate w/ 375 SFM. (around 3K rpm if I recall). And I'm still not sure if I should place the part flat? or the 5degree angle and let it mill down a nice horizontal flat finish?

that said: Again, the objective is to have only the Z (.125 slope) execute. And I recall something in the Mill Pro docs about this ability? Or being so new, I'm translating it incorrectly. (Z axis profiling?).

Sorry for being so green and incapable. But ya need to start somewhere right. CG.
    Attachment 234994
    Attachment 234990
    Attachment 234992

Re: UPDATE 2 w/ screens DCAD IGES import w/ autocad 3d to Mill Pro. Almost there!

Update #3 on the ever learning first project of the Axe face. If you've seen any of these posts ranging from the autocad forums to the CAM forums and back - It's been a long learning haul. I do not see much on DCam in YouTube or websites beyond the DCAM vids and tutorials by the Partmaster CAM folks. While very good - It did leave me with some implementation Q's being so new. Hope this helps someone in the future.

1) RTM!!! I found the .PDF manuals in a link and read the thing cover to cover. I found out how flexible and powerful DCam is! I noticed the "Merge" feature which seemed to cover essentially what I needed to do.
    2) The use of the closed watertight solid was totally abandoned. Same w/ the 2D closed shape contour of the face. Using Autocad I removed the top and bottom (closing lines) and extended the Arcs past each expected edge point.
    3) setup a new .CNC job w/ the MERGE function. Setting the top contour at .125 and the bottom .03125 (and I'm still messing with this setup). I setup 5 passes of the Mill (in the image below) Will experiment a bit.
    4) during the simulation the bit goes from the top of the material down the .0325 (1/32), basically the slope of nearly .125 I wanted.
    5) need to learn where to set 0,0 and go play w/ the styrofoam on the machine. Overall, getting there. Need to learn about finishing and such, but we are still having fun!
    Attachment 235028