586,106 active members*
3,239 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Vertical Mill, Lathe Project Log > Small lathe build with "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!
Page 3 of 3 123

Re: Small lathe build with "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

Here is the link to that build.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/vertic...the-build.html

I generally just turn brass, which is akin to cutting butter. It does change speeds when I am turning aluminum, but not a lot.
    That speed controller helps Mach keep it regulated pretty close to the speed called for as well. That helps.

Can't help with the Macro's, but there are plenty of pro's here that can.
    Lee

I actually find outstanding the fact that you went the hard way to make your CNC lathe! I don't have a decent Mill! so I wouldn't even consider to try to make that headstock, only a few thousands of a mm and you will have a true nightmare.! I actually have one of those ones with a manual lathe that I was trying to get some precision work done and it was literally impossible due to the fact that the headstock was out of alignment!
    Never mind,, excellent work! I'm kind of extremely partial about the changeable pulley on the motor! I just finish doing some threads.. and some parts! the motor don't even feel that there is any kind of resistance.

Thread Cutting! "ATC" Automatic Toll Changer Turret!

Well, here are a few videos of the machine running and cutting threads! It is not that precise.. but I'm very confident that I will Iron all the wrinkles in no time..Mini Lathe CNC Automatic Tool Changer Cuttin threads at 1" 2 - YouTube

I have a few photographs but sadly my camera have taken a dump.. so the only thing that it actually still do is take video. so here is the product before I file, sand and finish it.
    Mini Lathe CNC Automatic Tool Changer Cuttin threads at 1" 3 - YouTube

I have been considering to make a subroutine that will move the Tool changer automatically! if that works then I will build and modify the macro for each tool, and them will look for the location on Mach 3 To embed the Macros for each of the six tools on the turret!

First "FULL AUTOMATIC CHANGE"

Well Here you go! For those ones that have been following my blog!this is my first "FULLY AUTO TOOL CHANGE"

Now the problems! I don't really understand... Some times the "A" Axis start to drive super slow!Like a one or two steps per second! or some times the Tool change work just fine. but then it turn around and the program that is running one of the axis "most of the time the Z Axis" start to do the same! it start to move super slow!

I really hope to hear some inside on what causes that kind of behavior!

Well I guess that now the only thing left to be done is to have a video showing a full tool path with a tool change and perhaps a thread! Hope that you all have enjoyed my humble project! Thank you very much to all the people that took the time to share or guide me!

Re: First "FULL AUTOMATIC CHANGE"

Quote Originally Posted by MarkGerard363 View Post

Now the problems! I don't really understand... Some times the "A" Axis start to drive super slow!Like a one or two steps per second! or some times the Tool change work just fine. but then it turn around and the program that is running one of the axis "most of the time the Z Axis" start to do the same! it start to move super slow!

I really hope to hear some inside on what causes that kind of behavior!

I don't know what causes it, but I see it on both my mills at tool changes as well. Not all tool changes and not always just the first tool and sometimes not the first tool. Seems totally random to me.
    Here is the code snippet that I insert into the Gcode on the same line as the tool change call

G01 F50
    Feedrate can be changed of course, but that seems to work fine.

It may actually be a post processor setting. I use Sheetcam mostly for the mills and I use Dolphin Turn on the lathe.
    I don't see that happening on my lathe.

Yours looks great, BTW.
    Nice project.
    Lee

Re: First "FULL AUTOMATIC CHANGE"

No! I'm sorry that particular problem have been totally solved! I was having a really harsh time getting that A: Axis to give me a full rotation at 360 Degrees! so I can use the macro that tell the tool changer to give me a 60 degree partition between tools! but I already get that part sorted off! it was very awkward! because it take less than 700 steps per rev! making it very high F Code, close to the 1500 Inches per minute to be able to convince that motor to run fast enough to don't lose my cookies waiting. it is close to the 22 seconds!

Now What i'm getting more use to and more comfortable is whit the speeds and feeds! as mentioned before! i need to make a video where there are some good tool paths and at least two fully auto changes ! so I can consider this project finished!

also I'm having a bit of a heat problems! but that is just me been lazy. I'm planning to use a blower fan at the other end of the main motor shaft for this purpose and in that way cool the main motor and the Z axis stepper that usually gets very hot! lastly the en-closer is something that I feel very restricted! and I definitely don't want the full box covering the entire late! I'm not that kind of person!

I'm very grateful for your valuable time! Thank you very much for taking the time to give me your thoughts about my project!

Mark

Mastercam X6 Lathe Postprocessor???

Does any one know whare to find the postprocessor? I'm using Mastercam at college, and the G and M Codes that are generated... are not compatible with mach3!! I have found a few post processors but all of them growl at me when I try to change it on the computer that I have access to... in college!

Interesting tool changer turret. I bought a couple of those Rino Ondrives right angle stepper drives when they were cheap on eBay. I intend for one to be used driving a turret on a 9x20 lathe CNC conversion and the other perhaps for a 4th axis on my PLM 2000 mill.

So, so sorry for the late reply, but Ever since I finish this project I have not visited this forum! and for some reason I haven't receive any notifications Rhino Drives are great for as long as you do not intent to use the stepper motor that is mounted on them!! I just remove that motor and replace it with an small Hybrid close loop stepper that is capable to turn my tool changer 120 degress in less than 7 seconds.. that is a true improvement! Whit the original that operation use to take close to 34 seconds and it use to be like watching paint drying.... good luck with them! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	???????.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	322380 This new motors no longer make my life miserable no more missing steps in my life!!

Page 3 of 3 123