586,111 active members*
3,522 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by JavaDog
    [/IMG]

It is worth noting, however, that the software doesn't seem to allow for gear reduction/belts when configuring - just direct-drive.
    All the mechanisms allow you to insert a coupling you then select reducer Gearbox or Belt.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man
    All the mechanisms allow you to insert a coupling you then select reducer Gearbox or Belt.
    Al.
    Ah ha! So it does, and it makes a big difference!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

do they have that kind of designer for steppers
    jmg

Well, with everyone's help - I think I have worked it out. At least, I hope so - as I am ready to place my order with SDP/SI.

Holy crap are they expensive though! Looking at $105 for all the belts/pulleys to finish my machine! I had no idea...
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by jmgreen
    do they have that kind of designer for steppers
    jmg
    I don't use steppers but I believe the Kollmorgen does allow for steppers also.
    But there are many of the stepper/servo manufacturers that offer sizing programs.
    Al.

Albert E.

thanks al I appreciate that.
    jmg

Well, my belts and pulleys will be in tomorrow! So excited, just hope they are all correct.

They are all 1/4", so that means I have to bore one of them out to 3/8" for the Z-Axis ballscrew - but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

hi JavaDOg

Some very interesting information in this thread

Just out of curiousity guys , why not use timing belts pullys and belts of small four sylinder engines , even 6 cylinde and V8's . One can aquire therm cheap from auto dismantlers ( wreckers here in Australia ) we call them.

The pullys are very cheap , New timing belts are cheap , come in all sorts of lengths and there is some form of tensioner device to make belt adjustments .

The belts are stronge enough considering the crank shaft of a engine is turning rocker arm gear and open and closing valves at speeds of over 5500 rpm and higher in some cases.

the ratio is 2:1 ratio , I'm planning on using them in my tthree projects i have in mind
    I wanna do everything myself and learn and most of all CHEAP. ( CNC_lathe , CNC_gantrymill , CNC_plasmatable and possibly a Pacific U_2 universal milling machine once i have mastered the concept of CNCing

cheers

I believe the answer to that is that car timing belt assemblies run in one direction therefore there are no backlash requirements for the pulley and belt profiles.

Andy
    Drat, imperfection has finally stopped working!!

hi

the timing belt on engines can run in both directions
    its bi-directional

as far as stop start speed and reverse direction it will handle it without a problem

as far as backlash ur running a engine and again everything has to be in sink ( zero backlash )

otherwise u will out of timing components and poor engine power and not to mention the valves hitting the tops of the pistons ???

Like all things have a stretch and wear period and tension adjustments can be made

I still believe u will have no headaches with the engine timing pulleys and timing belts

I defiantly will be using them on all three of my projects
    and as far as strength and durability that is not a issue.
    cheers

Interesting thought FPV - will look forward to seeing how they work out for you.

I've had my belts and pulleys for a few days now and put them on the finished machine. Once I button up the electronics - we will see how they work! :banana:

Here is a stupid question, but I just want to check myself. Since I am running 2:1 (well, 1.8:1) - the smaller pulley is on the Servo, right? So, two turns of the servo equals one of the ballscrew.

Quote Originally Posted by JavaDog
    Here is a stupid question, but I just want to check myself. Since I am running 2:1 (well, 1.8:1) - the smaller pulley is on the Servo, right? So, two turns of the servo equals one of the ballscrew.
    Yes.
    Al.

Albert E.

ok, i have a question about all this pullie and belt mess... ive done the math, and with my setup, i'm going to run a 1:2 ration on my steppers... meaning that im going to put the bigpullie on the stepper and the smaller on the leadscrew... i have more torque that i will need for this small machine, so i would like to see what i can get out of it speed wise... I'm using 10tpi screws, and my home build drivers for my steppers are only able to do 1/2 stepping.. that makes for 400 steps/rev*10tpi= 4000 steps/inch or a resolution of .00025 @ 1:1.. i dont need that level of accuracy, so 1:2 reduces accuracy to .0005".. thats still better than i need but figuring a max usable rpm of 300rpm at the motor, 1:1 gives 30ipm, and 1:2 gives 60ipm... so the motors that im using are the 500oz steppers i got from califorina.. and im just trying to figure out which pullies and belts to use... i got the sdp/si books here in front of me, but after going through it my head hurts...

loosk like for my torque needs, i need to go with the 5mm gt2's, but im liking the 3mm, and i'm worried about backlash... just sitting here trying to do the math looks like i should go with a 20 tooth and a 40tooth.. then if i ever wanted to change the ratio i could go up with a 60 tooth for 1:3 or even an 80... i like the ability and choices for the 3mm better than the 5, and my thinking is that the more teeth you have hooked up, the less lash there should be...???? or am i way of base???
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

Page 2 of 2 12