586,121 active members*
3,493 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Autodesk > Autodesk Inventor project

Autodesk Inventor project

I need a little advice. I have a project to draw. It's a timing cover to the front of an engine. Mostly Odd shaped.

I've all the bolt hole centers and hole sizes plotted using my milling machine, so I have dimensions.

The part is a single piece, and mostly only about 1/8 inch thick except for the bolt flange around the outside. The "gasket" area contours and bolt holes I have drawn in 2d AutoCAD.

So, should I start out with a block in inventor and start removing metal using a bunch of work planes?

I just need a hint to get kick started.

Thanks for the suggestions.

aj

Re: Autodesk Inventor project

I've made some progress. Paying my dues and learning Inventor. It's a time consuming project for me to draw. Re-drew several times and I think I may have it this time...

I have a few modifications left then I can shell out the back side.

AJ

Looks really good! Might I ask what it is?

It is a front cover or a timing cover to a V-8 engine. You have much inventor experience?
    thanks, Aj

No experience, but I´d like to try it =) I work with AutoCAD.

Out of curiosity, finally what drawing steps did you end up ?

In my experience I find it mentally easier to model a part like it is getting machined. It helps me think through issue that may come up when manufacturing as well. So in most cases I prefer a cut over an extrude. Looks good though!

I use Inventor to draw all my parts. I have the student 3-yr license for now. Once I draw my items, I then export to my CAD/CAM program and that program will allow for machining and converting to G-code for my CNC machine.
    What is it you are trying to do? Manually machine a part using Inventor? Or, just design a part from scratch? You don't remove metal with work planes -- you sketch and extrude and then add the various items you want to edit. Inventor is a Parametric CAD package, so when you make a change it automagically updates any other parts/drawings that reference the part you are editing.

Tim N.

The general recommendation with Inventor is to use stepwise construction rather than trying to capture everything in one sketch. Also, don't sketch holes, curved edges, etc. - use the specific modeling features for these refinements (Hole, Fillet, etc.). And leave those refinements to as late in the construction process as possible.

This part looks like a series of extrusions to me. I'd start with a sketch that captures the outer flange contour and hole locations (as points, not circles), then extrude that to the depth of the flange. Then create a new sketch on the surface of the flange and draw the middle contour, extruding that separately. If it is helpful, you can project the outline of the flange into that second sketch. Then make a sketch on top of the second extrusion and extrude again to create the third contour.

Drill out the central hole as a Hole feature, then create a work plane offset from the third contour by the amount by which the bushing protrudes from that plane. Create a sketch on that work plane, project the outline of the hole, and offset that circle by the bushing thickness. Then extrude the bushing region back to the surface.

Finally, add the flange holes as Hole features (you may have to "share" the first sketch to make the hole centers visible again) and add Fillet features for any rounding.